Disk cloning issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenor

In Runtime
I recently used Acronis Drive Image to clone a spare hard drive with the intentioin of using it on my other (children's) pcs should any one of them needs OS reintallation. But when I tried it on one of the pcs, it couldn't boot up the pc. I remember previously when I cloned a hard drive (using Norton Ghost then)and used it on the same pc on which it was cloned, I didn't ve any problem. Question: Must the pcs be of the same spec and/or system configuration as the pc which the clone disk is cloned on?

Anyone has the answer?
Thx!

What OS are you cloning? For Ghost, as I have not use acronis for this, if it's xp, the machine should boot it up given that the drive is in the boot order, is attached to the system and a full backup was done, not an image created.

First things first, did you get an error? what did it say?
how is the drive attached to the system? Is the drive an option in the boot menu? (press f12 during post)
How did you build the disk? did you clone one disk to another, or back up the disk to that drive?

Good luck

Sevenor said:
I recently used Acronis Drive Image to clone a spare hard drive with the intentioin of using it on my other (children's) pcs should any one of them needs OS reintallation. But when I tried it on one of the pcs, it couldn't boot up the pc. I remember previously when I cloned a hard drive (using Norton Ghost then)and used it on the same pc on which it was cloned, I didn't ve any problem. Question: Must the pcs be of the same spec and/or system configuration as the pc which the clone disk is cloned on?

Anyone has the answer?
Thx!

Question: Must the pcs be of the same spec and/or system configuration as the pc which the clone disk is cloned on? <-- YES almost 100% but Acronis has a new tool out to where you can use any image to put on as many different pc as you want.

Hi Inaris, thx for the reply.

1. The OS involved is Win XP SP2.

2. I didn't receive any error message. Drive Image said that the
cloning was successful.

3. The pc concerned has only one hard drive and uses IDE cable.
I first detached the original drive and then reattached the
cloned drive in former's place.

4. I did not change the boot sequence in the BIOS. The hard drive
had the first priority.(Why?)

5. Yah I cloned one disk to another NOT backing up, by using
Acronis Drive Image. (I think I even formatted the drive before
the cloning).

Hope these info help
Thx!

Hi Warez, can you direct me to the settings in DI where I can make the image be used in any pc as I have four young children each with different spec'd pc. Each time they go online, I almost always need to redo their pcs as they are download-happy thus making the pcs becoming very slow and me very tiring. Instead of scanning for virus and spywares, I prefer to just clone the drives making them like brand new - more neat I think.

Thx in advance!

It all depends on the computer, ive had it work sometimes and sometimes not.If theyre all whiteboxes it should work.The drive in this comp has been in 3 different computers already, same OS. When u start throwing OEM's in there it gets dicey.You can nlite an install for all the comps, then u just throw in the disc and walk away.

Bruce said:
It all depends on the computer, ive had it work sometimes and sometimes not.If theyre all whiteboxes it should work.The drive in this comp has been in 3 different computers already, same OS. When u start throwing OEM's in there it gets dicey.You can nlite an install for all the comps, then u just throw in the disc and walk away.

Thx Bruce!
I do ve the XP SP2 CD. Also, all the pcs are networked together in a workgroup.

You said I can initiate an install for all the pcs, simultaneously you mean? How do you do it? If that be feasible, it'll be great! Or did you mean using one of the pcs as server and the rest as workstations?
Thx in advance for your reply.

I have a simillar problem. I cloned my hard drive using Ghost 2003, Ghost 10, and Acronis. Evertime it cloned properly with no errors. The problem is the new clone disk will not boot up in my new PC. It always leads me to Safe Mode options. I tried all options but it just keeps re starting. Someone told me that if your migrating a hard drive clone to a new PC wth a different CPU then ot won't work. I'm migrating from P4 2.4 to P4 D 2.44ghz. My hardwares are also different in the new PC. Can thi be the problem? If so, how can I remedy this without re installing the OS all drivers and all softwares?

Re: Re: Disk cloning issue

Warez Monster said:
Question: Must the pcs be of the same spec and/or system configuration as the pc which the clone disk is cloned on? <-- YES almost 100% but Acronis has a new tool out to where you can use any image to put on as many different pc as you want.

This is very interesting news Warez...have you worked with this personally at work? It is a ***** keeping our Ghost images at work updated..simply because we have about 10 differnt models which means 10 differnt images which means 10 differnt times I have to touch differnt machines...more info if possible :) Not looking for general "google" info here but your hands on experience info if applicable.

Re: Re: Re: Disk cloning issue

Win2kpatcher said:
This is very interesting news Warez...have you worked with this personally at work? It is a ***** keeping our Ghost images at work updated..simply because we have about 10 differnt models which means 10 differnt images which means 10 differnt times I have to touch differnt machines...more info if possible :) Not looking for general "google" info here but your hands on experience info if applicable.

me too.

I'm an now an acronis fan. I'm going to bury my drive image cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom