"disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexredhed

Beta member
I have been going out of my mind with this problem now for the past week or moreand dont seem to find a way around it.

In summary i had Windows XP installed on a Raid array stripe 0 on one partition, and nothing installed on the 2nd partition, so installed vista 32 bit on the 2nd partition.
This would boot up fine just giving me the option screen to choose which boot i wanted.

I then formatted my windows xp partition as it needed cleaning out, and then i found my pc would not boot up giving up "Disk Boot Failure please insert system disk and press enter."
I reinstalled windows xp on that same 1st partition, but still the same problem.
And now i find i can only get into my operating system if i boot from the vista cd ... not pressing any key and then i get a choice of operating system boots option screen.

I cannot carry on though having to rely on booting from my cd.

So as it stands i wonder what i can do, to get this system to just give me the operating system boot choice menu without having to boot from the cd.

One other thing to note is when i installed windows xp on my raid array partition again i did have another sata hard drive with a windows install connected to my motherboard. As i installed one on my seperate sata drive initially when i couldnt get anywhere previously.

Please help me sort this out. or ask any further questions relating to this so you can help me sort it out. thanks.

Athlon 64 x2 4200
Asus a8n motherboard
2gb ram
2x 80gb raid array stripe 0 ( my original install of win xp and install of vista 32 bit. )
1x 320 gb hard drive ( a basic win xp install )
1x 200gb hard drive
geforce 6800 gt pci express
neopower 480w psu

Dual boot's are never fun. Always susceptible to problems. I had this issue with a users PC at my job just the other day. We narrowed it down to either his system board having a problem, or the PSU not drawing enough power upon startup to boot properly.

In the end, the boot device priority was missing the HDD slot somehow to boot to. Make sure the HD is set in the boot menu. I'm sure it is, but just double-check, you never know lol.

Other than that, I'd say to be easy on yourself, get a 2nd HD if you want a dual boot so each keeps their files to themselves and doesn't leave too much room for errors. I ran Ubuntu and XP Pro once dual-booting and had a **** of a time fixing them when they eventually came to a headbutt session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom