dish checking

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhsrcjh

In Runtime
Disk checking wants to run when I start my computer. I have 2 hard drives and a dual boot system. XP is on drive D and 98 on drive C. Disk checking works fine on D drive but just sits there on C drive. It will not do anuthing but sit there and will not check the disk. I can reinstall XP and it works fine for awhile and then starts it up again. Can disk checking be disabled in XP? Can't find anything about disabling it.

ive had sooo many probs with 98, a lot of the time it's a completely different problem to anyone else.
you can't cancel the XP disk check if it's alreadystarted, you have to cancel it before it starts

if you get a normal shutdown there should be no reason for it to do a disk check on bootup

The disk checking started after I accidently hit the off switch on my power strip while the computer was on. It works fine on two disks but just sits there while checking the 3rd disk. 98 is on C drive and that is the one that is giving the problem. XP is on D drive and all my records are on E drive. I can reinstall XP and it stops the problem. If something happens and I get a bad shutdown, which does happen, the disk checking starts again and will just sit there when it gets to C drive.:D
Do not have a HP scanner. My scanner is a Mustet 1200 UB plus. It will not work with XP even with the drivers downloaded for it.

I can hit any key on the keyboard and it will cancel. Just want to stop it from running when ever I start up. Right now, it is OK. I reinstalled XP and it doesn't run at startup. It is OK on my other drives, just the C drive is giving a problem.

it could be viruses, bad sector/s from when you didn't shut down properly, or a problem with the scandisk scanning the actual Windows 98 structure (the third one is unlikely)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom