Disconnect all network connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Using XP, when I hit my file server with the user "user", it prompts me for a password and I log in.

If I try to hit another share that "user" doesn't have permission to, it prompts me with a login box - requiring the proper log in to access the network share.

At this point, if I try the user "jason" who I know has access, it says I cannot complete that action cause I can't have multiple network connections on the same windows account at the same time.

I can reboot and it's fine. And I really don't need multiple network users hitting different shares. But it's just something I'm curious about - is there a way to flush network connections to servers without rebooting?

Try "Administrator" instead of "jason"

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about.

"user" and "jason" are accounts on my linux file server to access certain shares. User is a generic account, who can only get to drivers, program files, etc. That's the account I use when a friend needs to grab something.

Jason is my account, where my entire home directory and all of my personal files gets linked to. Naturally, I don't want "user" to get into my stuff.

Out of curiosity, I tried. But when I tried, it gave me that error, which prompted further curiosity - how do I reset the network connections from a server to allow Windows to log in to the server with a different user? Is rebooting a requirement for this?

nope, just do this from Run:

\\serveraddress\sharename /user:domain\user
e.g. \\10.10.20.25\jasonprivate /user:jdogdomain\jason

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about.

"user" and "jason" are accounts on my linux file server to access certain shares.
Linux?
We are in Windows OS forum, the above Linux forced login may work, but if not you should try the Linux forum: Linux, BSD, other *nixes & Open Source Software - Computer Forums
Where others have posted similar issues

You stated using XP and then going to your file server. File Servers can be anything, actually most businesses use Windows Server Software, and have Linux set as the firewall before it hits the modem/router
"User", although commonly used in Linux, is also used by many (really lots) of Windows users

But, as you are trying to get a Windows workstation to access a network and then to access another shared network this can't work. As Windows can only access one network path at a single time
Therefore you need to either set up mapped network shares (ideally at Windows login) to see those other networked computers
By the way, this may be a dumb question, but are you using: "file and printer sharing for microsoft networks"?

By chance is this also a Domain network? If so then you should be configuring these shares from your "Linux" Server. I could help with Windows Server OS, but in Linux I have no idea of the commands to use
Are you the administrator of your Linux server, can you log into it (possibly user:user) and check what the Linux network can see?

how do I reset the network connections from a server to allow Windows to log in to the server with a different user? Is rebooting a requirement for this?
How do you reset the LINUX network settings/connections/users/passwords?
I'm positive there is a command for this, but it must be whilst logged into the Linux server, either check help, or try the Linux forum

He is using XP so it does belong here. He is trying to access his Linux File Server. When he is trying it access his Linux File Server with the Admin Account it is giving him the error. It is in the proper spot because it is XP that is giving the problems, not Linux.

Who says he is trying to connect from 1 network to another shared network? Who is to say that this Linux server isnt part of his home network? That is a assumption that is incorrectly made. Many people use both Linux and Windows on the same network. Heck many people use it on the same machine.

Jayce is a Linux man, but due to his job he is being forced to learn Windows on the fly. Which is why I believe and if i am wrong Jayce will tell me, that this is all on his single home network so it should work as it is not trying to access 2 different networks.

To reset Windows Network passwords:

Start > Run > services.msc > ok
Scroll down to: Protected Storage
Double click on it, to open the settings
Stop it
Start it
ok
Close Services Window

I don't believe it requires a Windows reboot, not totally sure. But give it a go

Mak pretty much hit the nail on the head. With the exception of my Windows vs Linux experience. :p I've spent considerably more time on Windows than I have Linux since I started with computers. I just prefer Linux, but I still utilize Windows a LOT - both at home and at work.

I'm running one local home network. No domain. My Linux computer is part of the network, as is my Vista partition on the same PC, 3 XP computers, a second Linux computer, and a Mac laptop.

Since all of these machines support the Samba client, my Linux computer acts as a file server with Samba loaded so the Mac computer, other Linux computer, and XP/Vista/7 computers can access my file server (Ubuntu) accordingly with user accounts.

As I said, user is just a generic account, who can only get to 1 share. This particular share is kind of a BS share, with downloaded .exe programs and contains no personal information. Since I do quite a few computer installs on my own time for private individuals, it's easy for me to hit my file server and bam - there's flash, firefox, ie7, java, quicktime, real player, vlc, google earth, etc all on my file server instead of searching for each one individually. That's why I have the generic user account, along with the fact if a friend wants to dump some BS file on my server, he can use that and doesn't need to know my personal account password to get on the file server. I have my account set up with my own personal password because it links to my personal data on my Ubuntu machine (aka file server). That way I can get on my Mac laptop out in the garage and stream music from my Ubuntu computer.

But, grinding back to the topic at hand, my issue is with a Windows computer, despite it being a Linux file server. That part of the equation is irrelevant in this instance, since the question is really just pinpointed to being an XP issue. I just wasn't sure if there was a way I could somehow zap the connection to the server and log in as a different user without any issues.

My only reasoning behind this was, I have 5 users for my file server, each with different permissions. I just wanted to log in as each user to test their permissions and make sure they matched up to what I set up on my file server. But to do this, I had to reboot my XP computer each time after testing each user. Otherwise if I tried to log in as a different user, it barked at me with the error.

Sorry Jayce. I didnt realize your were that extensive with Windows. I jsut knew you were a Linux guy and used Windows at work. :p

Sorry Jayce. I didnt realize your were that extensive with Windows. I jsut knew you were a Linux guy and used Windows at work. :p

Hahah, oh yes. I only got hooked on Linux when I built my first computer and realized I was flat broke and had no OS. It was to be a temporary "at least get online" solution that ended up growing on me. :p But we're slowly implementing Linux servers at work, so we're beginning to see a range of platform differences here, which is always nice to have a variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom