Disc Error... Media Test Failiure

Status
Not open for further replies.

triskit

In Runtime
I just replaced my PSU. After connecting the new PSU to everything and starting the computer up, I've been getting some weird error messages while booting up. While replacing the PSU i removed my floppy drive (because who still needs that) and its connection to the mobo... that also might have caused the problem. Here is what is displayed during startup

(i tried to write down as much as i could and hit the important looking things... I know I might have to boot up again and tell you more, but i dont know exactly what to look for)

The first screen loads normally:

-a bunch of info about mobo, CPU, and RAM

Devices: 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, 1 Hub
Detecting Pri Master: ...CDROM...
Detecting 3rd Master... IDE HD
Detecting USB mass storeage Devices
USB mass storeage devices found and configured

**the screen now goes blank for a second***

the above things are shown once again, but now at the bottom of the screen it says

Drive Error
Press F1 to continue

** I press F1**

now it shows things that ive never seen before

Initializing MBA
..a bunch of stuff, etc...

**new screen***
PXE-E61 Media Test Failiure, Check cable

**new screen**
Nvidia Boot Agent 224,0523
etcetc
PXE-E61 Media Test Failiure, check cable

**now windows starts normally**

This is the part that baffles me... after all that, windows starts up and EVERYTHING works perfectly fine... the HD, the OP drive, Everest correctly detects all of my hardware... I can write and read the HD. I would never think that there was a problem if the startup wasn't so rough...

i dint know if this is significant or not, but note, that no 2nd master is detected, it just skips from Pri to 3rd... is this maybe connected to me removing my floppy drive and causing the problem?

any other ideas?

thanks for reading my book, please HELP!

what do you mean?

It is connected properly and I can access information from it and save to it without any problems.

Is there a specific test that I can run on it through windows that might shed some light on the problem?

ah, thank you, that worked...

but apparently that wasnt the only problem because although i'm no longer getting the disc error message, i am still getting the media test failure messages and the weird "Initializing MBA" and "Nvidia boot agent" messages. The computer is working through these on its own and booting up afterwards, but I've never seen them before and they tripple (at least) the time it takes my comp to start up.

nevermind, i found it after looking around the BIOS for a bit

anyway, thanks a ton for all of the help, the computer is working great again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom