disc cleanup not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoinTimeSublime

Baseband Member
I dunno if this si the right section to put this under but o well, the disc clean up program that comes with your computer to delete all the temp file and other undded crap isn't working... like when u lead it it lets u pick the drive u wanna clean up or wahtever but tehn when it's calculating how much stuff u can delete it stops when it's seaching for compressed old files... i left it on for half na hour and it stayed in that exact spot... anyone kno how to fix this?

Why not just choose an alternate route? Manually delete the temp files and cookies, or use Internet Explorer. Go into Internet Explorer, and click Tools up top, then Internet Options... then Delete Cookies, and Delete Files. There are also several file wiping programs that are used for this. I'm sure if you ran a search in google or www.downloads.com you'd come across something. You may also want to just try rebooting your machine. That may do the trick.

I agree with Rizinc4. Do it manually through IE. Also, if you haven't done disk cleanup for a while, it will probably take some time before it figures out how much space can be saved. Try leaving it on for longer.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.
5. Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.
7. Quit Registry Editor.

A quick solution is to use the Divide And Conquer method:

Check half of the boxes of items to cleanup, then go thru it.
Go Back and do other half. If you lock up only on one half, cut that half into two more halfs or do it one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom