Disappearing Hard drive profile in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

deolya

Solid State Member
( See end of post to find out more about my system)

This is the one I can't solve.............

Background:
:D
I just upgraded and bought a new computer running at 2.6 GHz Intel. I decided to go the brand name route rather then building a system, because of the bundled package and the price factor. So to make it short, I just picked up a Sony VAIO PCV-RS320 Desktop (system profile is at the end)

Problem:
:mad:
Now this is a new system, which I only bought a few days ago, so I haven’t really played around with the configuration of the system much, nor have I added any software. But what I have done is added a new hard drive ( Maxtor 80 gig – 5400 rpm) to the system from my old computer into the new. After the install the computer and all the programs contained in it operated just fine. In fact, it had no problem recognizing the hard drive installed, and I was able to both add and search all the information stored on the drive.

:rolleyes:
Now, The problem occurs when the computer is left idle, and it enters hibernation mode. When the system comes out of Hibernation mode, the installed Hard drive and all its components donÂ’t appear.

At first I thought it might be a loose wire or cable, miss during the install process, but this wasnÂ’t the reason. I also did a hardware search, and did a windows update on the computer, still no Hard Drive.

Only when I do a restart does the computer realize that there is a 2nd hard drive and the profile for the drive reappears. But once again, when the computer enters hibernation mode, and comes out of it, the profile for the Hard drive disappears off the system.

:confused:
NOW I know, a simple solution is to just turn off the hibernation feature on XP-home. However, I am looking for another solution, where I can still keep the hibernation feature going on the computer

PLEASE HELPÂ…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â… thanks :eek:
David

More details:
:freak:
added Hard Drive: Maxtor 80GB – 5400 rpm

Other Technical Data
Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

Processor: 2.60 GHz Intel Pentium 4
System Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Number of Processors: 1
RAM: 512 MB
RAM Type: DDR SDRAM
Max RAM: 2.0 GB
L2 Cache: 512 KB
Operating System and Software

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
Bundled Software: Click to DVD, PictureGear Studio, DVgate Plus, SonicStage, VAIO Media, Microsoft Works 7.0, Intuit Quicken 2003 New User Edition, Microsoft Money 2003, Microsoft Encarta Online
Keyboard and Mouse

Keyboard: VAIO Keyboard
Mouse: PS/2 Wheel Mouse
Hard Drive

Size: 120 GB
Hard Drives: 1
Optical Drives, Other Mass Storage

CD-ROM: 40x
CD-RW: 32x (read), 8x (write), 4x (rewrite)
DVD Recorder: 4.8x (read), 2x (write), 1x (rewrite)
Floppy Drive: 1.44 MB, 3.5-inch floppy disk drive
Combo Drive: Yes
Graphics and Display

Graphics Card: Intel 865G Integrated Graphics
Graphics RAM: 64 MB
Sound

Speakers: Stereo Speakers Included
Ports and Connectivity

USB 2.0 Ports: 6
FireWire Ports: 2
Parallel Ports: 1
Free PCI Slots: 2
Modem: 56 Kbps
Network Connection: 10Base-T/100Base-TX Fast Ethernet
VGA Video Out Ports: 1
Cases and Expandability

Case Type: Tower
Size (LWH): 14.9 inches, 7.2 inches, 15.6 inches
Weight: 26.5 pounds
Free Internal Bays: 1

actually,..i dont' recommend using the hibernation feature, because it ruined 3 of my HDs already(got bad sectors, BSOD),..and some people i know have turned this feature off for the same reason. i just thought i'd let you know....sorry if i wasn't able to help. others here may have a solution.

Opps,

Its not the Hibernate feature, itÂ’s the systems Standby featureÂ…Â….

Does someone have a solution?????

(itÂ’s the system config, I returned my computer, and bought the exact same model again---- Same problem):confused:

yes i remember seeing that when i go to my BIOS settings, ive only got 1 HDD, when i've got a friend over and he puts his HDD in to exchange files and stuff it has no problem, he has a Western Digital 20 GIG and it's 5400 RPM (i think) i think you should try as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom