Disable Folder Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccskorn

Baseband Member
To start things off, my computer is MY computer. Rarely does anyone besides me use it. Well, my sister decided she wanted to burn a cd, since our family pc doesn't have one, and she did so, and saved the songs in the My Music folder in My Documents. Well after burning it, she "accidently" (don't know how) deleted some of my files. My question is, is there any way that I can make it so a password or something has to be entered to open a folder? I only have one user account on my computer, and plan on keeping it that way. My OS is Windows 2000 Pro. Any help appreciated.

Hi,

You are actually lucky to be using Win2k in this situation - but you have to take advantage of the strengths of the OS.

Set up a new user for your sister, and/or other family members, to use when "visiting" your PC. Set a password, and use it, for your main account as well as for the new account.

Set this new user's rights to either "User" or "Power User" so they can use the apps they need.

The key here is to get into the habit of logging off of your main account when either not using the PC or before turning it over to another user.

Once the new users log in this will give the new account their "own" directories (My Documents, etc...) and forbid access to "your" directories.

I hope this helps. :)

Daf

or...

I'm not exactly sure how to do it, but I think you can convert a folder to ntfs and then password protect it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom