DirectX and Black Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWyld

Solid State Member
Hey everyone!

I'm brand new to the forums, I've browsed here for a while and have found answers to several questions but have never needed to post anything until now. I'm not overly "tech savy" but can usually stumble through most directions to fix most of the simple issues I usually have. That is until this week. Let me set up what is going on and hopefully if I leave anything out someone can direct me as to what additional information they would need to assist me. Any help is extremely appreciated!

I am running XP (32 bit) on a Dell XPS 600. I recently upgraded my vid card to an Nvidia 9800 and have had ZERO issues with any other games I've tried to run. The drivers are up to date on the vid card and the sound card. I can post my dxdiag if anyone thinks that will help at all. When I attempt to boot up the game in question it goes to a windowed black screen and immediately goes into "not responding" in the task manager. I brought up my dxdiag to check everything there. Every tab in dxdiag says no problems EXCEPT my input tab. My input tab will not even open up. When I click that particular tab it loads about halfway and gets stuck.

Other games are still working fine and i have uninstalled this particular game and reinstalled it about 5 times now. I believe my issue is in my directx alone and something to do with that input tab. Can anyone please advise further? Thank you very much.

Well that has something to due with the keyboard and mouse...

The same game you are having issues with, did you play this game before the upgrade?

Well that has something to due with the keyboard and mouse...

The same game you are having issues with, did you play this game before the upgrade?

Thanks for responding, and no I hadn't played this game at all before the upgrade. I do use a wireless microsoft keyboard and mouse, but like I said before, all other game work fine on this PC except this one game. I even bought Dragon Age Origins tonight and it's running like a sewing machine with no issues thus far. But I'm still getting the Input issue with directx. :(

hasta

Well without knowing the game, or if it ever worked before there is no way we can really say anything. Is it a newer game, older game? Does it support DX9? Does it need DX10/11? I mean all of these things have a effect. Is the game 100% compatible with XP without any kind of hack/mod?

Well without knowing the game, or if it ever worked before there is no way we can really say anything. Is it a newer game, older game? Does it support DX9? Does it need DX10/11? I mean all of these things have a effect. Is the game 100% compatible with XP without any kind of hack/mod?

Yeah sorry I dunno why I didn't just list the game name from the get go. Wasn't trying to be cryptic or anything. The game is D&D Online. I have found several threads on this issue where the game has a black screen and doesn't respond. But none of them were on par with what is happening to me. One link I found however, stated exactly what my issue was. You can find that conversation here. Black screen on startup - DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE®: Eberron Unlimited™ Forums

I have tried what that individual suggested to no avail. I just downloaded the newest version of directx and installed it and nothing worked. I even installed directx from the dragon age cd I got yesterday hoping that might clear up the issue, but it didn't seem to work. Is there no way to uninstall directx and replace it with a new download? I haven't really been able to locate anything that says that's possible. Thanks again for trying to help with this guys!

hasta

sounds like when you install an older version of directX over a newer version..
so have you downloaded the dxsetup.exe and let that download and install all DX files? that option works better than installing DX your self.. it wont overwrite newer files with older one's, only fills in the what is missing..

also try CCleaner or TuneUp utillities to maybe clean out some defunct registry keys that maybe hindering your game play.

sounds like when you install an older version of directX over a newer version..
so have you downloaded the dxsetup.exe and let that download and install all DX files? that option works better than installing DX your self.. it wont overwrite newer files with older one's, only fills in the what is missing..

also try CCleaner or TuneUp utillities to maybe clean out some defunct registry keys that maybe hindering your game play.

I ran a registry cleaner, not sure if that is the same thing. I installed a full directx10 last night with Dragon Age and it didn't repair anything.

hasta

Sorry but DX10 is not compatible with XP at all. You need the latest Runtime DirectX installer.

Sorry but DX10 is not compatible with XP at all. You need the latest Runtime DirectX installer.

Okay, forgive the silly question, but where would I find that? Is it a simple install where I just download the file and run the .exe or is there more to it than that? Thanks again!

hasta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom