DirectX

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont need DX10.1 you have DX11. Read the FAQ. I posted it for a reason. Win7 comes with DX11.
Start>Run>dxdiag

That tells you what version you are running.

This is something I don't understand. When installing some games, it asks you to install an older version of directx. And if you don't the game doesn't run.

Fore example, When I install Call of Duty 4 and it asks me to install directx 9, it will not work unless I install it even though I have a newer version of directx.

Why do you have to install an older version of directx if you have the newer version?

This is something I don't understand. When installing some games, it asks you to install an older version of directx. And if you don't the game doesn't run.

Fore example, When I install Call of Duty 4 and it asks me to install directx 9, it will not work unless I install it even though I have a newer version of directx.

Why do you have to install an older version of directx if you have the newer version?

thats a good question, I'm curious about that aswell

I'm not sure why my game is lagging so much then, maybe with me running win 7 now instead of XP I need more ram?

Alright let me explain this as best i can. Games that require DX10 or DX10.1 do NOT need any additional things installed. Now some older games that require DX9 or DX9.0c will require you to install the DX9 Runtimes. These do NOT overwrite your installed DX files and allow you to play older games without any issues.

The games that require you to install DX as part of the install process will not overwrite the installed DX11. I have installed Doom on my system which is this way.

Now the reason for this is DX10, DX10.2 and DX11 are not fully backward compatible. They can not run those games flawlessly which is why you are required to install the older version.

Basically if the game requires you to install DX9 or older as part of the install process you will not overwrite your DX11 install on Win7. There is no need to install DX10 or DX10.1 as you have DX11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom