DirectX 10 for Windows XP...download - Page 6 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 PM   #51 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
forrestcupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 692
Default Re: DirectX 10 for Windows XP...download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akubane View Post
I still dont know what the big deal is. If your running enough ram and have a half up to date PC vista runs fine. The switch was 10x less painless that re-installing xp. I wont touch XP with a stick anymore. lmao
I use Vista, but the big deal is that people don't want to shell out that much money when XP works just fine. Some people just don't have the extra money.
__________________

forrestcupp is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 10:03 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 2,215
Send a message via MSN to Akubane
Default Re: DirectX 10 for Windows XP...download

Theres other means to obtain things as well. Depends on your morals I guess. But if it's just that people are nitpicking for faults just because they don't want to say i cant/don't want to afford it >.> yeesh.

I do understand the whole microsoft tryign to railroad people into vista thing and why that would make people angry. I guess I just decided not to be surprised by microsoft anymore and stopped caring so much lol.
__________________

__________________


C2D E8400 | Diamond 4870 X2 | Biostar Tpower I45 | 4GB G.Skill PK
Corsair 750TX | Xigmatek HDT-S1283 | CM Haf 932
2x Seagate 1TB 7200.11 | Asus Xonar D2X | LT Z-5500's
Razer Lycosa | Razer Lachesis | LG L245WP-BN 24" MVA LCD
Akubane is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 10:23 PM   #53 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: DirectX 10 for Windows XP...download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akubane View Post
I still dont know what the big deal is. If your running enough ram and have a half up to date PC vista runs fine. The switch was 10x less painless that re-installing xp. I wont touch XP with a stick anymore. lmao
* Vista is slower
* file copying, from one hard drive to another, often will only reach just over one megabyte per second. And copying to a USB drive will struggle to reach a few hundred kilobytes per second
* Vista is much less controllable
* Vista has very annoying features. You disable UAC, and the security center complains. You disable the security centre, and the OS complains.
* network transfer speeds are slower
* it boots up slower
* it takes up a significant amount of hard drive space. (I have 2.4TB, and I still don't like it)

Windows XP with SP2 (or with SP3), simply works as it should.
__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 11-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #54 (permalink)
Future ex-member
 
lancec2c30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chehalis, WA
Posts: 4,012
Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30
Default Re: DirectX 10 for Windows XP...download

some people have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude. while others have the "it's new I want it" attitude. We know where Apokalipse is.
__________________

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

lancec2c30 is offline  
Old 11-01-2007, 06:35 AM   #55 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: DirectX 10 for Windows XP...download

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancec2c30 View Post
some people have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude. while others have the "it's new I want it" attitude. We know where Apokalipse is.
I'm neither of those.

I'm the kind of person that wants to make things work the way I want them to, not what somebody else tells me I should have.

If they don't, I either look for something that does (not necessarily being new), or modify what currently works nearly the way I want it to, so that it will work exactly how I want it to.

And if it does work the way I want it to, I'll still pull it apart and find out how, and then make it work the way I want it to in a better way.

*edit*
hey, I'm one post off 11111 posts.
*edit*
__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 11-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #56 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
forrestcupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 692
Default Re: DirectX 10 for Windows XP...download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
* Vista is slower
* file copying, from one hard drive to another, often will only reach just over one megabyte per second. And copying to a USB drive will struggle to reach a few hundred kilobytes per second
* Vista is much less controllable
* Vista has very annoying features. You disable UAC, and the security center complains. You disable the security centre, and the OS complains.
* network transfer speeds are slower
* it boots up slower
* it takes up a significant amount of hard drive space. (I have 2.4TB, and I still don't like it)

Windows XP with SP2 (or with SP3), simply works as it should.
I know Vista has its problems, but to be fair, I'll have to say that I haven't experienced some of these problems.
* I can copy to a USB drive much faster in Vista than I could in XP because XP didn't recognize that I had USB 2.0 slots, and I couldn't find any drivers anywhere to make it work. Vista recognized it OOTB and its USB speed is on par with my Ubuntu install, which is fast.

* I turned off UAC and security center warnings and now nothing ever complains. (who cares about security, right?)

* Mine boots up just as fast or faster than my XP did. It's just the shutdown that takes about 10 minutes for some reason.

I'm sorry you may have had these problems, but evidently it's not always like that.

Edit:
But if you have an older rig that won't run Vista, and you don't have the cash to upgrade, I can see why you would need XP support.
forrestcupp is offline  
Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #57 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: DirectX 10 for Windows XP...download

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
Edit:
But if you have an older rig that won't run Vista, and you don't have the cash to upgrade, I can see why you would need XP support.
I have an AMD 6000+, with 2GB RAM, an 8800 GTS 320MB card, Foxconn C51XEM2AA (Nforce 590, Nvidia's top AMD chipset) and a 74GB Raptor (10,000RPM)

so no, my system is not slow.
__________________

__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Beta Osiris Microsoft Windows and Software 0 10-14-2007 11:57 AM
Command And Conquer Gold Full Game Download Osiris PC Gaming 8 09-02-2007 11:53 PM
Free Download Manager 2.5 is out maroon1 Microsoft Windows and Software 5 08-27-2007 08:50 PM
Fonts Snake91839 Internet Software and Browsers 5 05-30-2007 06:19 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.