Dire Problems! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2007, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Dire Problems!

I did a disk clean-up and I tried to remove some applications that I didn't use anymore. So I went in there but got confused (didn't think I was confused) and thought that if i ticked an application it would delete. But oh no! Clicking it keeps it so I unticked all the others and now I have lost many many applications. I have tried to re-install the applications through the disk cleanup by ticking them but then it says "Please insert the Compact Disk labeled 'Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' into your CD-ROM drive (E and then click OK." I have "Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2". I have tried a file from Microsoft but I don't know what I am doping and I double clicked the .exe application and it said "... is not a valid Win32 application." I was wondering if there was any way I could get all these applications back as I don't have the CD. I was thinking maybe an .iso image? Please help anyone!
Thanks so much if you can help.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Default Re: Dire Problems!

Did you try system restore?

As a word of caution... never use disk cleanup to uninstall anything other than Windows extras. use the uninstaller for the program, or add/remove programs if there is not an uninstaller.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 09-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

System resore will reset all you're previous settings, you mentioned you got in there and sellected aplications, that is not a function of disk clean up, if you deleated some files, list the problem file, as well name the files that you disabled(or deleted), the program you used.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I deleted all applications (Calculator, Paint ETC) and Outlook Express and some connection wizards and such. I do not have a proper system restore disk (I only have a burnt copy that has written on it 'SYSTEM RESTORE DISK' but I don't know if I should try it). It tells me to put in the Windowxs XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD in to re-install those components but I don't have the disk. If I use the burnt SYSTEM RESTORE DISK will it delete all my saved files and folders in the computer and will it delete any programs?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing
Send a message via MSN to Nick

why did you delete the calculator? its not gonna make ur system faster removing it
Old 09-30-2007, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

It was an accident, i thought I was keeping it and deleting IE. But is was the other way round.

Closed Thread