Digital Still Camera (DSC) vs Digital Video Camera (DVC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbc

Banned
I have a DSC that will take digital movies and a DVC that will take still pictures. When would I choice the DSC over the DVC and when would I use the DVC over the SDC?

The DVC is a High8 Mini DV. What does High8 mean? What is a Mini DV?

Hi8 = A higher quality version of the 8mm videotape format. Uses a higher luminance resolution to produce a sharper picture than regular 8mm videotape.

MiniDV = Mini DV is a video cassette designed for use in MiniDV digital camcorders. The picture quality of digital video (DV) recorded on a Mini DV cassette is basically identical or better to the quality of DV recorded on a Hi8 or 8mm cassette by a Digital8 camcorder. Mini DV can have up to 530 lines of video resolution for some camcorder models.

A digital video camera is better for videos, but the camera's in them are usually crappy, like 1 megapixel at best.

Digital still camera's will take very good pictures (up to 12MP), but can only take VGA quality (640*480) video.

You can't do both right now; it's one or the other.

Thanks for that explanation. Is the Hi 8 compatible with the 8mm that was around back in the 1970s, is this a complete re-write of the old format?

If have started to look at MPEG DVCs and I am encouraged by the fact that the MPEG DVCs will use of a USB to download the movies to HD. Does MPEG DVCs offer any qualitative advantages over the Hi 8 DVCs?

jbc said:
Thanks for that explanation. Is the Hi 8 compatible with the 8mm that was around back in the 1970s, is this a complete re-write of the old format?

If have started to look at MPEG DVCs and I am encouraged by the fact that the MPEG DVCs will use of a USB to download the movies to HD. Does MPEG DVCs offer any qualitative advantages over the Hi 8 DVCs?

Hi8 is a different format, but yes, it's just an update from 8MM. Heck, my last videocamera (Sony 1990ish) was 8MM, and was the size of a TV camera. I do video recording on my digi cam.

MPEG DVC's are probably hard drive camcorders that record to MPEG. That's my guess.

They are better than Hi8 because Hi8 is still a cassette tape, which are obsolete now.

My pop has a lot of movies of me when I was my sons age back in the mid 70s. My son's chidlhood movies will be all digital, as is the case most likely with all 21st century kids. My questions are this: Are my digital hi8s compatible with his old 70s movies of me? My DVC says Hi8 and MiniDV, I thought that these two were seperate non-compatible formats, what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom