Difference between XP Home Full and OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

muldertx

Beta member
I am wondering what is the difference between XP Home Full and the OEM version. I am building myself a new computer and need to purchase XP soon.

Thanks,

muldertx

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer. A retail version comes in a fancy box, OEM does not. A retail version contains a printed manual. The customers who purchase a retail version are eligible for tech support and different rebates. With our offer this is not possible - hence cheap prices.
Be aware that you will not be able to register the software with the manufacturer. Some of these products cannot be updated on-line.

No update and no manual and tech support. Seems like a pretty good trade off for saving $100 or so.

Thanks

muldertx

So in your opinion would it be worth the extra $100 or so to go with the full or save and go with the OEM.

muldertx

Legal OEM versions have all the fuctionality of the retail versions except for the following.

1. OEM does not come in a box.
2. OEM is only licensed for one computer.
3. OEM is not transferable.
4. OEM cannot be used to upgrade.
5. Microsoft does not supply free technical support or installation support for OEM.

Note: Upgrade does not mean update, you will still be able to receive ALL Microsoft updates including any service packs, security and OS updates.

I would make sure you purchase the OEM from a reliable retailer as some sites sell "warez" versions that will only screw you in the end.

Here is a great site to buy from.

Microsoft XP OEM

Some illegal version of XP update but only some

I have my XP CD Key running on 3 computers right now and it was an OEM i believe ( no manual and came with an OLD prebuilt PC ). I have legal CD keys for all the computers, it's just i reinstall very often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom