Die windows page file!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
As the title implies, I have recently attempted to elimate all paged memory from my machine. However, despite my eliminating all of them in System> Performance> Advanced >Page File, my system monitor (rainmeter) still says I have 1.86 gigs of swap memory. I evenh tried settign the size of the swap to 512megs, with the same result. So, how do I get rid of this? Is 1.5 gigs of ram acceptable for a windows machine (that does everythign up to and including playing very new games, such as BF2, at very high textues)? Before my ram upgrade, I got along fine with 512 physical/512 swap. Any ideas?

not recommended

Can the Virtual Memory be turned off on a really large machine?

Strictly speaking Virtual Memory is always in operation and cannot be ‘turned off’. What is meant by such wording is ‘set the system to use no page file space at all’.

This would waste a lot of the RAM. The reason is that when programs ask for an allocation of Virtual memory space, they may ask for a great deal more than they ever actually bring into use - the total may easily run to hundreds of megabytes. These addresses have to be assigned to somewhere by the system. If there is a page file available, the system can assign them to it - if there is not, they have to be assigned to RAM, locking it out from any actual use.

Alright. I get almost no disk usage when I'm not opening programs/doing soemthing perosnally that would cause activity, so I gues most of the paged stuff is idle anyway. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom