Did a windows repair..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

In Runtime
Hello,
I set a system restore point last night before i ran this program. After I ran the program everything seemed to be working fine until i shut my comp down and when I tried to boot it up later it came up and said it was missing an NTLDR file. So I got my XP boot disc out and loaded it up and did a windows repair install on it. After it finished it requested a license number and i gave it my license number or so I thought.. and it didn't take. I had to use a different license number which worked. But now, I would like to use my restore point from last night, but when i go to do a system restore it does not show me my system restore point. Is this because I used a different license number?

System Restore "restore points" are missing or deleted

The deletion of restore points may be caused by any one of the following by-design conditions:

You upgrade from one operating system to another or you reinstall the operating system. The upgrade might be from Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP or from Windows XP to Windows XP.

After you run the Setup program, you will have to run System Checkpoint, but the restore points you had under the previous operating system are gone. Windows does not let you return to an older version of the operating system by using System Restore.

Note When you upgrade, you might still see some restore point files and folders in the <drive letter>:\System Volume Information in Windows XP or under the <System Drive>:\_RESTORE folder in Windows Millennium Edition. However, these restore points are obsolete and cannot be used as they do not appear on the Select a Restore Point list on the System Restore page.

If you start the Disk Cleanup utility and you click the Disk Cleanup tab, a System Restore: Obsolete Data Stores entry is available. These are files that were created before Windows was reformatted or reinstalled. They are obsolete and you can delete them. If you choose to clean up and delete these files, you will no longer see them under the folders that are mentioned earlier in this article, and the option to delete obsolete data stores will no longer appear on the Disk Cleanup utility.

grr that sucks.

Why wouldn't it take my original windows license number?
I just rebuilt this machine 3 months ago and I used the same license # and then wrote it on my XP boot disc so I wouldn't loose it. And now I had to use a different one.. grr how upsetting.

grr that sucks.

Why wouldn't it take my original windows license number?
I just rebuilt this machine 3 months ago and I used the same license # and then wrote it on my XP boot disc so I wouldn't loose it. And now I had to use a different one.. grr how upsetting.

there is a limited number of times you can activate a retail copy of windows before you have to get a new serial number from tech support, it wasn't too painful last time I had to do it.

There can be many things with this situation.

Why are you constantly doing a repair install? What is wrong with the PC that is requiring a repair all the time?

For a NTLDR Missing error you dont need to do a Repair install. That was the first boo boo. All you had to do was from the Recovery Console fixboot and fixmbr. That would have solved it.

There are ways to use a Restore point from the Recovery Console as well.

System Restore Using XP Cd and Recovery Console config/sytem /software missing

=
Mak,
Why are you constantly doing a repair install? What is wrong with the PC that is requiring a repair all the time?
I have only repaired it this one time. The previous time I reinstalled windows was because I rebuilt my compt and formatted my HDD.

Dang it!
I should of come here before i did a repair install.. oh well. I didn't really loose anything besides time and a few files. Next time though, i will use recovery console instead of doing a windows repair.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom