Did a clean reformat, issues worse than ever! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2006, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Exclamation Did a clean reformat, issues worse than ever!

Hey guys, some of you may recall my problem but here's a quick rundown of why I reformatted:

I could run all programs without a problem EXCEPT games... anytime I tried to run a game I would get a blue screen that would detail about one of the following files:

So I thought I might have screwed up the drivers or I might have a virus and just decided to do a full reformat to start with a clean slate. Well not only are the problems not gone, they're worse! Here's what happens:

When it gets to the Windows XP Pro loading screen everything seems fine... then right when it's done loading when it tries to load the desktop it pauses for a second or so and then restarts. Sometimes I can see some random colored blocks on the screen before it restarts.

So obviously since a full reformatt didn't get rid of it it must be a hardware problem right? I'm leaning towards the video card being the problem, but could this be a hard drive problem? Or a motherboard problem even? I cleaned off the video card and did everything I could, the fan is working fine and I can load the comp in safe mode. All plugs are securely plugged in.

My specs are:

Processor: 3.04 ghz pentium 4
Ram: 1 GB of RD 1066 ram
HD: IDE 140 GB Hard drive
Video card: Radeon 9700 pro
Sound card: Sound Blaster Audigy

Someone please help me thanks!

Old 03-08-2006, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

try using a different VC, sounds like a driver issue with the .sys files. Have you download new drivers from the website? Check that its not conflicting with any other devices (check device manager) also what anti virus are you running? are you running alot of USB devices?

I\'m not your Google Butler!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

It is either a problem with the Video drivers or if you have something plugged into your USB ports.

Check and make sure you have onboard video off. Then make sure you only have a keyboard and/or mouse installed in the USB ports.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

in my opinion its one of these

1) motherboard - check for bad capacitors see examples

2) unstable psu voltages or cpu overheating - get into the bios and goto pc health/hardware monitoring and report back with the voltages and cpu temperature

3) bad ram or with too tight timings set , get memtest86+ and test the ram with it http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65...+-1.65.iso.zip
(after it loads it runs nonstop until you restart,let it make at least 11 passes) and report results

btw are you sure your ram type is rdram and not ddr? p4 3.04ghz+rdram just doesnt sound right
Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

you might have a boot sector virus. use powermax in my signature to wipe your drive clean, then reinstall windows
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Closed Thread