Diagnostics Software Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
A friend of mine owns a garage and has one of those laptops with FORD IDS and Ford TurnKey (diagnostic software for automobiles) among a few other similar softwares. The laptop was bought from IDS with a partiton and with the software pre-installed - so no discs..... and Im sure by now your getting it. The laptop is now very old (latitude D630) and since it has been used in a garage all its life, keys are missing, usb's are messing up, etc. etc.,
His ultimate want was that I take the programs off and put them on a new laptop he has bought, but I told him that it cant be done.
So is there anything that CAN be done here? (Other than spending about 10K to replace all of these diagnostic programs he has)

Nope. Missing Registry Keys, missing app data files/folders. Not to mention the fact that I wager to guess that the old laptop had XP and the new one has Win7, software compatibility will also come into play. There is no saying that even if you could export all of the programs data, that it would work with the new code of Win7, UAC and all of the new stuff that it has to offer.

Sorry but he has to pony up the cash to get compatible programs.

So now the really dumb question : the new(er) laptop is also a latitude, an E6500. Is the age difference here too much? will the architecture/bios keep me from just transferring the hard drive into the E6500 and running it as the same as it was, an XP machine?

Yes. The hardware profiles that were used to install XP on the old machine will not match the new machine and it wont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom