Diagnosing Vista BSOD's - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to SpikedCola
Default Diagnosing Vista BSOD's

Ive attached all the dumps and WinDbg logs of each dump, in case I missed something, or in case someone wouldnt mind taking another look (the extension is .zip, but the files are actually .rar's, since WinRAR wouldnt let me split .zip's - no matter, WinRAR doesnt care what the extension is - if youre using another archive program, simply rename back to .rar)

Long story short, some point to memory corruption, some are inconclusive, and some point to a driver (Ive updated both my video drivers and network drivers to their newest versions). Im currently running Memtest86+ on the lappy, couple hours in and no errors yet.

If you have any more ideas, or things I should be trying, please let me know!
Attached Files
File Type: zip minidumps.part01.zip (97.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: zip minidumps.part02.zip (70.3 KB, 8 views)

Asus P5E | Q6600 | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 | BFG 8800GTS | 5x1.5TB SATA2 | 2x500GB SATA2 in RAID1
Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Diagnosing Vista BSOD's

Are the BSODS referencing a specific driver or are they all over the map? With Memtest not yet producing any errors I'm starting to think this would be a hard drive issue. I see a few instances of accessing various drivers that cause a minidump, can't access pagefile, etc. I think you should run a full disk check on your main hard drive once Memtest is done. You can use the Windows one and/or the free version of Disk Checker. I usually use both since you can run one during the day and the other over night. Disk Checker seems to be faster and provides more info. That's just my preference---you can, of course, use whatever drive checking software you like.

Welcome to RS Software Lab web site!!! Algiz, Disk Checker, NetChess, PHTML Encoder

Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neowin.net

it looks like a driver issue, or a malware issue. try booting in safe mode and remove the drivers. then reinstall in safe mode.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

One or two dumps referenced dxgkrnl or something like that (the DirectX graphics Kernel) so I updated my video drivers to the lastest ones. One dump referenced my wireless drivers, so I updated them. Another dump referenced ntkrpamp.exe. Some say "IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption" and one literally says inconclusive. Basically theyre all over the board (but I havent seen any specific driver ones lately).

Ill give that Disk Checker thing a go - Ive always used chkdsk and found it to not be that helpful. After that, Ill do a virus & spyware scan. If nothing shows up, itll be time to remove drivers. While Im on that topic, is there a tool that will go around and remove all traces of my old drivers, so I can get them all from scratch again? Simply uninstalling the drivers usually leaves the driver files intact, so it will just reinstall them again, correct?

Keep 'em comin' guys!

Asus P5E | Q6600 | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 | BFG 8800GTS | 5x1.5TB SATA2 | 2x500GB SATA2 in RAID1
Old 03-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neowin.net

here's to clean old drivers. Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com

and maybe this. http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...bd/msicuu2.exe

i did see the dxgkrnl and dwm.exe and explorer.exe and lsass.exe which make me think the video card driver. i had this issue once before with my 8800. and make sure you run it as an admin.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ive used Driver Cleaner before, but doesnt it just remove certain drivers? Im more looking for something like "find drivers\*.* and remove them" kinda thing.

Disk Checker finished with 0 errors. Time to do a spybot, adaware, and avg scan.

AVG, Ad-Aware, and Spybot all came back clean. Time to start removing drivers.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You sure it's just not easier to wipe and reinstall Windows again at this point? This could be a needle in a hay stack situation by now.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thats the other option. The only thing with that is now I have to go through and set up all the finger prints again for each user, back up all the data, etc etc. Removing & reinstalling drivers is kind of a one-user-affects-them-all kinda thing. But hey, Im being paid by the company to work on it, so if I do this for a few hours and it doesnt work, no big deal

Closed Thread