Diagnosing Vista BSOD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

In Runtime
Ive attached all the dumps and WinDbg logs of each dump, in case I missed something, or in case someone wouldnt mind taking another look (the extension is .zip, but the files are actually .rar's, since WinRAR wouldnt let me split .zip's - no matter, WinRAR doesnt care what the extension is - if youre using another archive program, simply rename back to .rar)

Long story short, some point to memory corruption, some are inconclusive, and some point to a driver (Ive updated both my video drivers and network drivers to their newest versions). Im currently running Memtest86+ on the lappy, couple hours in and no errors yet.

If you have any more ideas, or things I should be trying, please let me know!

Attachments

• minidumps.part01.zip
    97.7 KB · Views: 11
  • minidumps.part02.zip
    70.3 KB · Views: 8
Are the BSODS referencing a specific driver or are they all over the map? With Memtest not yet producing any errors I'm starting to think this would be a hard drive issue. I see a few instances of accessing various drivers that cause a minidump, can't access pagefile, etc. I think you should run a full disk check on your main hard drive once Memtest is done. You can use the Windows one and/or the free version of Disk Checker. I usually use both since you can run one during the day and the other over night. Disk Checker seems to be faster and provides more info. That's just my preference---you can, of course, use whatever drive checking software you like.

Welcome to RS Software Lab web site!!! Algiz, Disk Checker, NetChess, PHTML Encoder

it looks like a driver issue, or a malware issue. try booting in safe mode and remove the drivers. then reinstall in safe mode.

One or two dumps referenced dxgkrnl or something like that (the DirectX graphics Kernel) so I updated my video drivers to the lastest ones. One dump referenced my wireless drivers, so I updated them. Another dump referenced ntkrpamp.exe. Some say "IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption" and one literally says inconclusive. Basically theyre all over the board (but I havent seen any specific driver ones lately).

Ill give that Disk Checker thing a go - Ive always used chkdsk and found it to not be that helpful. After that, Ill do a virus & spyware scan. If nothing shows up, itll be time to remove drivers. While Im on that topic, is there a tool that will go around and remove all traces of my old drivers, so I can get them all from scratch again? Simply uninstalling the drivers usually leaves the driver files intact, so it will just reinstall them again, correct?

Keep 'em comin' guys!

Ive used Driver Cleaner before, but doesnt it just remove certain drivers? Im more looking for something like "find drivers\*.* and remove them" kinda thing.

Disk Checker finished with 0 errors. Time to do a spybot, adaware, and avg scan.

AVG, Ad-Aware, and Spybot all came back clean. Time to start removing drivers.

You sure it's just not easier to wipe and reinstall Windows again at this point? This could be a needle in a hay stack situation by now.

Thats the other option. The only thing with that is now I have to go through and set up all the finger prints again for each user, back up all the data, etc etc. Removing & reinstalling drivers is kind of a one-user-affects-them-all kinda thing. But hey, Im being paid by the company to work on it, so if I do this for a few hours and it doesnt work, no big deal ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom