Desktop/Start Menu Shortcuts Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatBlue

Solid State Member
Brand new day, different problem.

This is regarding my computer at work. It runs Windows NT 4, SP 6, Internet Explorer 5.5, local and roaming profiles (backed-up and synched up every night when I shutdown. While trying to delete a file with a broken link I ran some software that was supposed to correct it (it didn't -- it only corrected broken .lnk files and my file has a .url extension. But I digress).

I found that when I rebooted my computer ALL the pictures on my Desktop and Start Menu icons disappeared and were replaced with a generic "E" internet Explorer icon. When I clicked on them I was got the message that the shortcut failed: "Problem With Shortcut. This internet shortcut cannot be opened because it failed to run."

Worse yet, I cannot create any new ones! I tried to drag them on to the desktop to recreate the shortcut. However, they immediately appear with that darn generic E and the shortcut link refuses to work.

All the program files are still there and I can launch them if I go into File manager and click on the .exe file. I'm wondering if that darn software made something disappear in the registry or in winnt. I read on another support page that there is supposed to be a file called shortcuts.exe, but when I did a search of my c:\ drive this did not come up. Could that be the problem? Or is there something I can change in regedit?

All replies appreciated, much thanks!

can u right click on the shortcuts and redirect the shortcut to the .exe file. that might solve it. or go inot the registry and delete all things related to the prog u installed and then see if it works. u could also try a repair off a windows installation disk but i dont know. if that doesn't work 'upgrade' your current version of windows to the same one that you had before. this will put the same windows on the system and will leave all your files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom