desktop shortcuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

crward

In Runtime
at work we use win2k and i'm having trouble with desktop short cuts not saving when the computer is rebooted or i relog on. it's a generic signon we all use.
any ideas/suggestions that can keep the shortcuts?

There's no reason why a shortcut placed on your desktop should disappear suddenly unless one of two situations:

1) the shortcut icon has purposely been deleted or

2) in a multi-user OS, you could be logged under a different user and thus you could be looking at someone else's desktop.

Since you say all the users in your office use the same logon; it's probably the former and not the latter.

if you are logging on to a domain, the permissions could be set not to save the settings....I think...

yep i agree, we have the same problem at school, all the C:\ drives of the PC's are wiped at start-up which can delete saved documents which is a bithch if you save is in the wrong place in the first place, it is probably the same with the icons and desktop,

another reason could be that the people who log on after you like to have a clean desktop so clean all your newly placed icons there!!?

Yes, schools and other coorporate arrangements often implement programs such as "deep freeze". The program deletes all uknown files and reverts all changed settings/files back to the origionally frozen state or as said by the libraries at startup.

Domains generally don't save desktop shortcuts.

so is there a way round this? it gets annoying have to do the shortcuts every time i use the pc. i've spoke to the IT department and frankly they suck ass big time, if you call through with a problem the answer is always the same-, REBOOT!

nope... not legally anyway!! - unles you can speak to the "suck ass" IT dep. and get them to turn it off... the problem is that all people logging onto the generic user name will have your icons... not necassarily a good thing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom