Desktop Not Responding - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2003, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Desktop Not Responding

I would be grateful if anybody can give me some help - I am running Windows XP Home Edition on my new laptop, and have recently found that nothing happens when I double-click on any of my desktop icons. The Start button also does not respond to mouse clicks 99% of the time, and the start menu option promptly freezes on the rare occasions it does appear. I ran tests on my computer on start up, and found that everything seems to be working with the hardware. It is just this problem with the desktop not responding that is getting really frustrating.

I have tried the usual ctrl+alt+delete and ctrl+shift+esc to shutdown and restart, but the computer does not respond. When I try to bring up the Task Manager Box, sometimes it appears (and then freezes), other times I get the message "The program is not responding".

The only way I can restart my computer is to physically switch it off, only to find that the above problems start all over again.

Can anybody suggest anything? This is driving me nuts.

P.S I did get the internet to work briefly the other night, only to find that the desktop again stopped responding when I started it up the next day.
Closed Thread