desktop Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

enduzer

Beta member
Hey guys, very new here, been looking for a nice tech form to get into lately so I can find some answers to some weird questions I have. I know a good amount about computer but when it comes to the real icky details about stuff I'm not sure what I can and can not do.

Here's a weird question,

I'm all about tecking out my pc, from the fonts and sounds, down to the way icons look.
I know how to change icons and I have gotten a a icon packager that helps a lot.
but my desktop is full of folders and short cuts that icon packers would either
A: not recognize at all, or
B: recognize all as one type of icon, (in which each icon I have changed has been set to many different icons. (sorry if this sounds a little confusing)

Basically I'm about to update my HDD to Windows 7 so I can have some more RAM,
and I don't particularly want to have to go and change all of these icons over again.
So I'm and wondering where all the custom icon settings get saved to?
Maybe in the windows folder somewhere?
Maybe I can just copy and paist this file into the windows 7 folder?
(provided that I have all my icons in the same location and exact same directory address & names?)

thanks for any help you guys might have. sorry if this is the wrong thread,

Whenever I reinstalled my old Vista OS, some files were placed into C:/windows.old
I do not remember which files were in this folder, nor do I know if Windows 7 would do this.

I would partition the hard drive, depending on the HDD, I would make a 2GB partition or so. On this partition, you can keep your old files.
When you install Windows 7 select "custom install" and make sure to install windows onto the partition that your files are NOT on.

Another thing to do would be to buy a $10 or so 4Gb flash drive, then store the files on that. This way, you just have to reinstall windows 7 (assuming all you files can fit into 3.5 Gb)
Walmart.com: SanDisk 4GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive, Blue: Computers

I use docks for my desktop:

singledesktop.png

I put a folder on my C: drive to put all my oddball shortcuts and icons in and then made a shortcut on the dock to pull it up. I use RocketDock for my dock and Yahoo Widgets.

hey cool, I just got stardock fences, it kind neat, I hear windows 7 has a optin simular to it though.

so you think if I have the icon files on a flash drive, or maybe my 2nd hard drive,
and then keep everything on my O.S. HDD when I install it that the icons will stay the same?

I should maybe test this by playing around with the location of my icons and the hdds I have.

I will prolly have to do everything t least once, all over again.

but once I get it down it will be nice knowing I don't have to do it again.
unless my hard drive dies, god forbid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom