Denied Access issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
Hey, got a pc here with Win XP. I'm unable to do a repair, so I need to do a complete install. Now I have data on my HDD, that i need to get off. I've put my HDD on another PC and I want to transfer the data from my hdd, to my other hdd. Now when I try and get into my folders, I am denied access. I think this is due to the fact that I made my account private when I created it. I can't get into my OS as it is now, but I need my data, any suggestions?

You will have no luck copying in windows or DOS. Reason being is you had a password on the account inside XP and only THAT user account has rights to that info. Even if you create an account with the same exact name it will not work because the SID will not match what the old account was assigned.

You must take ownership on your good PC you wish to move the data to. So your old hard drive (lets call it the E: drive) has to obtain a new SID and ownership rights. First you must disable simple file sharing via windows CONTROL PANEL>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW then scroll down towards the bottom and uncheck "Use simple file sharing (reccomended)".

Next right click on the folder you cant access most likely E:\documents and settings\user then click properties>security>advanced>owner the select your user name from the list as well as checking the box to replace the owner and sub containers on objects then click on yes and ok for whatever prompts come up. (make sure the owner is an adminstrator to the machine). You will now have access and able to pull that data off.

No problem! Also check out EricB's link to see some photos so you are sure you are looking at the right spot. You will see the "owner" tab in the very last photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom