DMcLaughlin

Baseband Member
Specs:

Dell Inspiron 1545
Intel Core2Duo
Windows Vista Home Premium
4GB RAM
64-Bit Operating System

I booted my computer with my XP SP1 disc and it didn't even pop up with the "Press any button to continue..." thing. I've checked everything in the BIOS. It's fine. CD/DVD rom is set to boot first.

I want XP SP1 on this machine. Help please! Thanks!

You're gonna haev problems right away if you're trying to use a SP1 disc. Slipstream SP3 on there with nLite, as well as the SATA drivers for the computer, otherwise it won't recognize the HDD and you'll have to disable ACHI in the BIOS.

May I ask, any particular reason you want to go from Vista to XP? If you don't like Vista, you can always run the Windows 7 RC for free until June 2010.

SP1 doesnt offer support for multiple core CPU's. That was not introduced until SP2.

As stated, you will likely have to make a slipstreamed SP3 CD. You can do it by hand (check here for the process on how to do it with SP2: The Canadian Security Community : How to slipstream Windows XP SP2?) or you can use nLite to make it. Honestly I don't really see a reason to go back to XP. Your machine is more than adequately powered. If anything get ready to switch to Windows 7. It uses less resources and has massive levels of improvements. You can get a free license for the Release Candidate through August 15th over on TechNet: Windows 7 RC | Support, Deployment, Resources

I just enjoy XP a bit more than I do Vista. Vista is an unnecessary upgrade. So, I am using nLite I have SP3 slip-streamed into my Windows XP installation disc. How do I add the drivers? I need the .inf files for the SATA drivers... I need some help with that.

Download the drivers and see if you can extract them with 7zip, if you can copy all the files for the driver into a file someware an then when you get the option to add drivers delect that file and bob's your uncle.

I just enjoy XP a bit more than I do Vista. Vista is an unnecessary upgrade. So, I am using nLite I have SP3 slip-streamed into my Windows XP installation disc. How do I add the drivers? I need the .inf files for the SATA drivers... I need some help with that.

So why not use the free Win7 RC? No need to create the custom disk and it is free and will work for a year.

So why not use the free Win7 RC? No need to create the custom disk and it is free and will work for a year.

Well I am using Windows 7 RC right now. A lot of the .dlls and .ocxs I use aren't compatible. I can't make my custom toolbar either =( Windows XP provided everything I loved and needed, so I want to go back.

Correct .inf files for what? We cant help when we dont know what you need to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom