Dell is going out the window if I can't get rid of this error message: hal.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmajayne18

Beta member
Hope someone can help me – I tried for about 7 hours yesterday to fix this problem but with no joy…

When I boot my PC, I get the following err or message “System32> root\hal.dll file is missing or corrupt. Please replace this missing file”

I am using a Dell Inspiron 6400.

So far, this is what I have tried:

Dell diagnostic check – no errors were found
Pressing Ctrl F11 and going to the system repair/reinstall (it's Norton Ghost). But – the PC won't let me restore as ‘no restore points were found'. I think this is because I uninstalled Norton Ghost as it was not free.

I did also try doing the ‘return your Dell to the state it was shipped in' option – this did not work either but I am actually quite pleased as I have not got any of my music, photos etc backed up. I am not sure why it didn't work, it just came up with some error message.

I have searched and searched for a resolution but all I keep reading is to boot to XP CD and repair/reinstall the file – how I am supposed to do this when my PC didn't come with one (apparently all solutions should be able to be solved from the F11 option)?

Also, I was going to try calling Dell but their tech support is only open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm – how am I supposed to call them when I am at work – grrrr!

I have also tried searching on this forum but the support directs me to the Ctrl F11 option which does not work!

Please help, I am going slightly insane J

Thanks for your reply, but as I was saying my computer did not come with an XP CD. In the dell instructions it says everything I need is already on the PC.

Does this mean that I need to save a file to a CD and do it that way? I have a CD writer at work so do I just download the file to it?

PS...whats a fixboot and fixmbr?

If you go thru the steps on the page i posted you can use a Linux LiveCD to do that. If you dont have a XP CD contact Dell to see if you can get one. If not borrow one from a friend that matches your version of XP.

fixboot and fixmbr are commands used to Fix the Boot for Windows and fix the Master Boot Record (MBR).

Sorry, as you can guess I am not really up with the PC lingo...the only instructions I can find on that page are:

Windows\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

This means the ARC paths in the [operating systems] section or the default entry in BOOT.INI is incorrect. Double-check that multi() and disk() are both set to 0, and verify that rdisk(x)partition(y) points to the correct partition where Windows XP is installed. Instructions on the correct configuration of boot.ini can be found here.

I have no idea what this means - there is no mention of using Linux LiveCD.

I am sorry to be so stupid, but it may as well be written in chinese!

Your best bet is going to be to get a XP CD that matches your installed version.

HAL stands for hardware abstraction layer and kinda tells the OS what hardware you're running. It's part of the computers boot up stage and without your at a dead loss. Re-installing windows or reparing it would solve this issue but if you don't have a disk as Mak said ask your friends or possibly torrent an OEM of the OS you have which you could use your key with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom