Deleting "Windows" Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkpitt45

Daemon Poster
Well with my new SDD, which is amazing, my old (comparatively) hdd doesn't need windows on it anymore. This HDD is almost full, only 20gb left, I have a lot of stuff :p. And no way to back it up for a re-format. So I'm going through deleting everything I don't need anymore, and the "Windows" folder happens to be rather large. Almost 17gb, only problem is I can't delete it.

An error comes up saying "You require permission from Trustedinstaller to make changes to this folder". How can I get around this? I could really use the extra 17gb lol.

Guess it's not really wise to delete it but you said your not gonna use it for an OS anymore. Maybe you can check and see if there's a process named Trustedinstaller or something close and end it, it may help. Not a total wise choice since I'm not totally sure if it would work. You should probably wait for some more suggestions lol.

Tried that already :p Google search came up with some third party programs that may help, but I'd like to know why as well. Might be cause the HDD is still recognized as a local drive for some reason. Not sure why, but I just want more room lol.

Take Ownership of the folder. Read First Thread has a topic in there for the way to do it in Vista. It is also the same in Win7.

It's not working for me :(

I change the ownership to "Ryan-pc" or "Administrators Ryan-pc" and the error box just changes to say I need permission from either of those to do that. I've turned off UAC, but I don't think that'd effect anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom