Deleting Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
I just installed Windows XP on my Windows 2000 laptop. I didn't have a CD, just a key, so I had to download a CD. The CD wouldn't boot itself, so I had to install it on top of Windows 2000 and it used the same partition. Now it asks what OS to boot on startup. I don't have much hard drive space (30GB, and 15 is an Ubuntu partition), so I'd like to free up the space that Windows 2000 is using. I think 2000 is in a WINNT folder while XP is in a WINDOWS folder, so can I delete the WINNT folder safely?

Is it safe to say that you just installed XP today or yesterday? If so, i'm feeling a little "Helpy Helpy" today and would LOVE to guide you through step by step on how to get your objective done.

Open msconfig, go to boot.ini tab, click check all boot paths, click yes when it asks you to remove the invalid one, reboot and it should ask you anymore

I did just install it yesterday, but I've used XP on other PC's for a long time. This is my first dealing with dual Windows booting (which is different than multi-partition GRUB Linux/Windows booting which I've used for a long time).

I'm assuming you mean to delete the WinNT folder, THEN reboot the PC, boot XP, go to MSConfig, boot.ini, then remove the invalid one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom