deleting content of temp directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
hey i have got over 300 MB taken up by my temp directory

C:\Documents and Settings\tom\Local Settings\Temp

is it ok to delete the stuff in the temp directory. do i need to delete it frequently. how did it get so filled up?

hey man instead of doing it manually just get a cleaner like CCcleaner
aka crap cleaner at download.com it deletes all the junk it works very well and its very safe i believe its safe to delete

I would advise against that. If you have Office installed, the .msi files are in those folders. You NEED those to run/uninstall/repair/install office again. If those are gone, the ONLY way to get it off is to use microsofts program. They have a tool (i dont remember the name) that basically forces an uninstall. It took me a month to fix the problem after i cleared my temp folders.

Use a software program instead... they know which files can't be deleted. Its safer.

You might well wonder about files that appear seemingly without reason, especially when they're directly related to executable programs on your disk. Such files could be part of some scheme to run malicious code instead of those trusted programs, but don't worry, they're not. The Prefetch folder is used by Windows XP to speed the boot process. Windows XP records information about each program that launches at boot and uses that information to boot faster the next time. Because multiple files might have the same name, it appends a "hash" of the file's location. That's the odd string of numbers and letters between the filename and the .pf extension.

This folder may accumulate useless junk, especially if you change your configuration a lot. There's no harm in emptying it. Simply delete all the files in that folder; Windows will rebuild it as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom