Deleted critical file with ScanDisk. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyo

In Runtime
The Story:
I was back home last weekend, at my parents house. They have a Windows XP Home - Dell Demension 2400 (i think) that's a few years old.

They only had windows firewall for years but we thought their threat level was below the average user because they have 26.4kbps dial-up. I installed avast anti-virus on their computer and after running a scan it picked up a couple Trojans, so i quarantined them.
Then i proceeded to clean the computer via ScanDisk/DiskCleanup and Disk Defrag from Windows System Tools. After i get ScanDisk running i leave the computer because it takes a while, but when I return there are like 7 errors of files I did not recognize that had been removed. The error messages suggested i re-insert the windows CD to replace and missing or damaged files. But i thought this was just a windows error because all i was doing was a regular old Disk Cleanup. So i closed the errors and restarted the computer.
When it reboots I see a message in DOS format saying something like 'windows is missing a critical file from somethingsomethingwin32somethingsomething.hal.dll'
I spent the next 5 hours on tech support with Dell and i learn that hal.dll is a boot file and that the files and everything that is on the computer is still there, it's just blocked because of this file.
We tried a few steps in the DOS-like prompt (i dunno what that part of windows is called that somewhere after bootscreen but before welcome screen, and the screen is all black but there is white text, so i just call this DOS. if someone could clarify what it's really called that would be appreciated.)
We got to the point where nothing was working to repair the file using the windows CD so they were going to have me reformat it.
I was wondering what could be done to fix this problem aside from reformatting.
If reformatting is required, my mother has some emails and addresses she would like to save, and is there anything i can do personally as opposed to spending $100/hr for data recovery at some store.
Furthermore, how could this have happened given the steps which caused it? Could a Trojan that avast found have corrupted the file? or does Disk Cleanup frequently cause this problem?

Any other information that could help me is greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks.

summed up--> After running Disk Cleanup, I removed a file: hal.dll. Now my computer wont boot.

Ok reading your summary at the bottom "I removed a file: hal.dll" lets take it from there. The simplest thing and least technical thing for you to do is a repair install of windows (do not format), a quicker and less messy option would be to simply copy the hal.dll back onto the computer either from the windows CD or somewhere else.
A format/reinstall really is not required for such a simple problem. I'll let someone else fill you in on details as i've got to dash.

p.s. "i dunno what that part of windows is called" recovery console / command line interface.

Yeah just do a system restore or repair the os by putting it in your hard drive and then selecting your pc to boot from CD/DVD rom and then you can repair the os without removing your files and docs and other stuff as well.

I believe the technical support rep and I already went through the repair windows process but it was to no success.

Okay saying:

'windows is missing a critical file from somethingsomethingwin32somethingsomething.hal.dll'

Doesnt help anyone. Since it is either Hal.dll or some other file. We need to know exactly in order fo us to be of assistance.

(i dunno what that part of windows is called that somewhere after bootscreen but before welcome screen, and the screen is all black but there is white text, so i just call this DOS. if someone could clarify what it's really called that would be appreciated.)

that would be considered the Advanced Boot screen. If it showed Safe Mode, Safe mode with Networking and other such options. If not and it only showed a C:\ prompt then it would be DOS.

Furthermore, how could this have happened given the steps which caused it? Could a Trojan that avast found have corrupted the file? or does Disk Cleanup frequently cause this problem?

Yes a virus/trojan can do this. That is what they are designed to do. Replace or corrupt system files so that it will do what they want when they are prompted to. the Disk cleanup utility could do this depending on the files it removed. Since you give no clarification on which files were removed we cant be of assistance.

So your options are what carnageX said above about trying to restore the hal.dll file or to try this:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Short of that your options are limited to:
1. removing the drive and placing it in another PC, one that is already secure, to get the data wanted.
2. To use a Linux LiveCD to access the drive still in the PC to get the files wanted off the drive in preparation for a reinstall.

that is all we can really advise at this time till we get some answers clarified on what the files removed were and if it was just the hal.dll missing error or something else.

MrCoffee & Mak's links both don't work because i don't have the option to press 'R' to repair Windows XP.
Carnagex's link was one of the steps the rep and i tried that didn't work.

So i cannot preform a repair installation (right?), and i cannot restore/repair just the hal.dll file in the recovery console.

I'm pretty sure that the exact file name was system32.hal.dll

I really suck with hardware so how hard is putting the hard drive into another computer to get access to the files that way?

Just do was mak said and it should help. If Not, you need to get a copy of a live linux CD (i suggest the latest puppy linux) copy over your important data, and reinstall. I personally have never had any luck with the windows repair for some odd reason. I had the same error but luckily mine was that ntldr was corrupted and i had a copy of alot of my sys files on an external drive.

Heres a link to puppy linux
Home Page | Puppy Linux

try these commands from the recovery console:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom