Defrags

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
How often should a PC be defragged? What is the quickest way to do it? Should I close most apps running? Should I disconnect from the internet? Any help is appreciated.

Lots of questions...where to start...

1) A PC should be defragged at least once a week.

2) The quickest way to defrag? I'm guessing that you mean what software does it quicker. Well 0&0 Defrag isn't exactly the quickest to defrag but it is the best overall.

3) You can leave apps open in the background while performing a defrag, it still should work.

4) Disconnecting from the internet will not be necessary while you defrag.

Hope that helps you.

-Dan The Man

OIDanTheManIO said:
1) A PC should be defragged at least once a week.

3) You can leave apps open in the background while performing a defrag, it still should work.
I would say once a month, unless you use it A LOT...

the quickest way to defrag is to close all applications and let it run overnight. could take a while. best to just let it do it's thing. also if you are running win. 98 you need to disable screen saver then turn off the monitor, ss will kill the defrag in many cases.

how often depends on what you do. alot of downloads and file deletions, unexpected terminating programs, lock ups, uninstalls, power slams, etc will defrag a system, some worse than others. Close any apps, as stated above, reason is although its SUPPOSED to work it more often than not causes problems when programs are running. Reason being, is that while defrag is trying to organize the clusters on the HDD, if info is altered in any way (read and rewritten) it will be detected that info has changed, and will need to restart. Safe mode is the best place to run a scandisk/defrag.

i perform a defrag every 5-7 days, closing all apps and programs. i use Xp's own defrag utility, although i would love to use a more complete defrag program, if someone would like to post some good free defrag utilities, i would appreciate that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom