Defrag windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas

In Runtime
I did some searching around and it seems Defraggler is often recommended, usually with a comment regarding it being free. My question is what is the best defragmentation software? Being free or not is not my concern I simply want to know what will do the best job?

+1 to Defraggler.
It's worth mentioning though, that Windows Vista and 7 automatically defrag drives when they reach a certain level of defragmentation.

Yea I'm aware of that and normally just set the automatic schedule. I guess as my main drive is getting more and more on it I have started to wonder if there is a difference in the end result between the different options. Diskeeper seems to review quite well but it's a bit of cash to spend if the results are similar.

O&O can get you to 0% fragmentation and can be set to do it in the background any time it needs to do it. It is worth the money.

O&O can get you to 0% fragmentation and can be set to do it in the background any time it needs to do it. It is worth the money.

Knew there was something else with O&O; just couldn't remember exactly what it was lol.

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then such programs are not necessary. The reason being is simple. Vista/Win7 will automatically run Defrag when your fragmentation reaches a certain %. So by running extra software you are in essance causing the system to defrag the drive multiple times causing more wear and tear on the drive. This is especially bad if you use a SSD drive for Windows. You will want to make sure that you check the Defrag settings and have it set to run at either a higher % or turn it off completely cause it will put more wear on the drive and cause it to die quicker.

I have yet to even use defrag since installing Win7. I set it to defrag once my drive reaches 30% and havent checked it since. Cause I know that when my drive reaches that mark, it will auto defrag it for me.

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then such programs are not necessary. The reason being is simple. Vista/Win7 will automatically run Defrag when your fragmentation reaches a certain %. So by running extra software you are in essance causing the system to defrag the drive multiple times causing more wear and tear on the drive. This is especially bad if you use a SSD drive for Windows. You will want to make sure that you check the Defrag settings and have it set to run at either a higher % or turn it off completely cause it will put more wear on the drive and cause it to die quicker.

I have yet to even use defrag since installing Win7. I set it to defrag once my drive reaches 30% and havent checked it since. Cause I know that when my drive reaches that mark, it will auto defrag it for me.

I guess my only question then is, Windows defrag does as thorough of a job as O&O or Diskeeper? I ask because my main rig has two WD re4-500's in raid-0 single partition and I am nearing 60% full and just want to make sure I keep it healthy and speedy. If you feel windows defrag works as well I'll use that on a schedule. I am on vista I don't see any way to set it to run at a % as you mentioned.

Also any insight on why I seem to hear my disks chattering almost 24\7 since I installed vista? Didn't have this issue on XP but now since vista it seems like it's always "doing" something. The hd indicator light also flashes pretty steady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom