Defrag issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lithium8226

Beta member
Hello,

I am new here so thank you for checking this out.

I was wondering if any of you Sages out there can give me an idea of what to do next. Here's my problem....

I have defraged my pc both with winXP defrag and with Aus Logics defrag as well and my system is still plagued with massive fragments. This is my work computer and I can't get a new one. I have done everything else to speed it up I have superanitspyware, I have a registry cleaner, and I do the disk cleaner as well. Still I cannot get this sllllooooowwww pc to pick up speed. Does anyone out there know how I can gain my fragmented space back? :confused:

Thank you for your time!
Lithium8226:cool:

Run an error check on the hard drive (just right click, properties, tools, and i think it is the first one). There could be sectors that cannot be used or are corrupt, therefor data cannot be moved to or from those sectors. Therefor not allowing defrag to cleanup those sectors. After running error check (select both options then restart the computer and it should check the drive at boot) run your defrag again and see if that helps.

If it doesn't, and you've already run the sypware and virus scans, also done all the utility scans you can and you are still having a slow system and fragmented files - that would lead me to believe you need to replace the hard drive.

Backup your files ASAP just incase it does end up dieing. Then look into replacing the drive.

Yea, back up your files. Maybe do a fresh install of XP if you can. That could clear up some funk that may be slowing the computer down.

Being a work PC you may have some company apps running in the background that are hogging your resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom