Defrag - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
Junior Techie

If you get a program like Diskeeper, you can have it run in the background and keep the disk defragged on a regular basis, without having to whole-hog it every now and then.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:44 PM   #42 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

I wipe my system out so often, I never get a chance too....I like to test software...what works together, what I gotta

Old 05-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Originally posted by Warez Monster
I wipe my system out so often, I never get a chance too....I like to test software...what works together, what I gotta
Any of the third party defrag software will work. Check out this Zdnet review.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
Newb Techie

There is definate benefits to defragging your drives on a regular basis. Not only does the defrag run quicker doing it on a regular basis, but it keeps everything in order so programs and files are accessed much faster. I haven't heard that it does any harm and I run my regularly on my servers and workstations.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:59 PM   #45 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I partition my hard drives. I have 7 on 3 hard drives. I don't use system restore on any drive but C. I have my pagefile on it's own partition. (the first 3 gigs on a 160 gig sata hard). I don't need to defrag

I know you all will oppose to this, but when I do defrag in this setup it doesn't move anything but a couple of files on my C drive. I never experience a speed loss either. Now I do, do a disc cleanup for my temp files though for obvious reasons

My set up
1 50 gig WD. 3 partitions (2C and a G). 2 20 and 1 10 gig (Dual boot OS, 1 Game Drive)

1 200 gig Maxtor. 2 partitions(L and M). 2 94.5 gigs (My Documents, My Movies)

1 160 gig seagate sata. 2 partitions(S and X). 1 3gig and 1 146 (Swap File and Xtra)

I just don't have a reason to do it
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 05-25-2005, 08:41 PM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Here's a great article about defrag you guys might be interested in.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #47 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I purchased a defrag program and have it scheduled to run daily. It runs in the background and it doesn't interrupt my computer use.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:06 AM   #48 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Every couple days, before I jump in the ..that was funny...seriously....I tried Diskeeper, O&O, Perfectdisk; now I just use windows, works fine.
P4 3.2
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 AM   #49 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes defragmenting regularly helps the system from slowing down and also minimizes blue screens, crashes, freezes etc. While drives sizes are getting larger nowadays, so are file sizes.
Automatic software has made the task faster now.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:31 AM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i just format twice a year, never defrag, my 2nd disc where i download all my files to isnt fragmented one bit even after months of downloading. My pc works just as fine as ever and it hasnt been rebooted for the last 3 months . Never experienced any problems with this and i'm an avid gamer, my games load just fine, and play just fine.

Closed Thread