Default Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

MST3kGeek

Baseband Member
I havent looked into this much myself or looked for anything online but i figured someone might have the same problem so id post.

i use an alternate browser to IE, and i accidentally accepted IE to be my default broswer last time i opened it and not to always ask. so now when a friend links me via AIM or other such messengers, itll open the link in IE rather than my perferred browser.

was just wondering if anybody knew offhand where id change that in windows or IE. to start doing the check again.

Unmark the thing in the "programs" tab in internet settings.

Also check the settings from your preferred browser and make it check for default.

You can do it via the registry. There may be more than one way but this one will work.

Go here: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ie_tips.htm

Scroll down to the Internet Explorer Control Panel Restrictions and more specifically the key you're looking for is Check_If_Default = Check if IE default browser setting but that webpage explains it all for you

EDIT: Yeah majors way is easier and faster :p

Tools>Internet Options> Programs Tab and uncheck the box at the bottom that says "Internet explorer should check if it's the default browser"

both were already checked in both browsers, unchecked and rechecked. even reset defaults.

tried the registry key, didnt work either.

uninstalled and reinstalled avant (the browser im using) nothing doing either :confused:

dunno if its cause i unchecked never ask again or what but it seems like either shouldve worked.

its not ridiculously annoying or anything cause there's a difference between just reading someones link to me and actual browsing, but yeah still subtly annoying :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom