Default Browser - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to MST3kGeek
Default Default Browser

I havent looked into this much myself or looked for anything online but i figured someone might have the same problem so id post.

i use an alternate browser to IE, and i accidentally accepted IE to be my default broswer last time i opened it and not to always ask. so now when a friend links me via AIM or other such messengers, itll open the link in IE rather than my perferred browser.

was just wondering if anybody knew offhand where id change that in windows or IE. to start doing the check again.

\"Shhhh, he\'s talking about his area\"
Old 01-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Unmark the thing in the "programs" tab in internet settings.

Also check the settings from your preferred browser and make it check for default.

TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 01-05-2005, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

You can do it via the registry. There may be more than one way but this one will work.

Go here:

Scroll down to the Internet Explorer Control Panel Restrictions and more specifically the key you're looking for is Check_If_Default = Check if IE default browser setting but that webpage explains it all for you

EDIT: Yeah majors way is easier and faster

Tools>Internet Options> Programs Tab and uncheck the box at the bottom that says "Internet explorer should check if it's the default browser"
Old 01-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to MST3kGeek

both were already checked in both browsers, unchecked and rechecked. even reset defaults.

tried the registry key, didnt work either.

uninstalled and reinstalled avant (the browser im using) nothing doing either

dunno if its cause i unchecked never ask again or what but it seems like either shouldve worked.

its not ridiculously annoying or anything cause there's a difference between just reading someones link to me and actual browsing, but yeah still subtly annoying
\"Shhhh, he\'s talking about his area\"
Closed Thread