I just recently installed Debian. Here are the steps that I did to install it.
1. Went onto Windows XP Professional, and launched Partition Magic 8.0.
2. Since I have a 160GB HD, i resized it to 120GB, leaving me with 40GB's of free space.
3. I put in my Debian Linux CD and rebooted my computer.
4. I created 3 partitions from the 40 GB's of free space that was created using Partition Magic 8.0.
5. The first partition I created was /boot. I made that 512 MB's, and ext2.
6. The second partition I created was /swap. I made that 512 MB's also, and swap area.
7. The third partition I created was /, and reiserfs. I made that the remanining of the free space, which was somewhere around 38-39GB's.
8. I installed Debian, although I don't think that it was installed fully. It copied files over to my Partitions, but a friend of mine told me that it downloads some files from the network. I never saw it download anything, that's why i think it wasn't installed all the way through.
9. Anyways, I came to the screen where the Grub Boot Loader came up. It told me that I had another Operating System on my computer (Windows XP Professional Edition). It asked me if I wanted to install Grub on the Master Disk, but I don't know what the master disk was, becasue it never asked me. I selected "yes".
10. It ejected out my Debian Linux CD and told me to take it out of the CD ROM Drive.
11. It then told me that it was going to get ready to start Debian Linux.
12. After my computer restarted, it attempted to load grub, although it was unsuccessful. An error message came up stating "Error 18". I have no idea how to fix this problem, thus me posting a topic here.
I hope that this is enough information for you guys to help me.