Dear Vista - Please Play Nicely With My Mouse. Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Blah blah I work school district Vista 300 computers gotta image them all no time top priority balls on the line blah blah I've been here before with the same fricken story.

Today we're on a new adventure! Yesterday, while trying to figure out the default profile issue, my mouse suddenly stopped working. Literally. Another tech dept person came over to offer a 2nd pair of eyes towards this pathetic default profile issue and my mouse stopped working. (So I have a witness! Ha!).

I've googled high and low, tried 3 different mice, tried automatically updating the driver, checked the driver CD it came with, tried to auto-search the CD for drivers, tried directing device manager to update from the specific Windows folder where drivers are kept, etc.

Nothing worked.

What else can I do?

Device Manager sees it as Other Devices - Unknown Device.

djfakls;djfk;lawjweiour9dufliasjdfklafd,mnasd,

This is a Dell Studio One (all in one). There is no PS2 ports. But yes I've tried different USB ports too.

I've tried so many different mice. Also - when I plug in the mouse, I do get the Vista noise that signifies it recognizes a USB device. So Vista knows something exists there... It just doesn't know what to do.

I also tested an Ubuntu LiveCD on the same computer with the same mice. Not surprisingly, it worked fine. So I know hardware wise this computer is fine. It's something with a driver with Vista that's not lining up right.

This is a Dell Studio One (all in one). There is no PS2 ports. But yes I've tried different USB ports too.

I've tried so many different mice. Also - when I plug in the mouse, I do get the Vista noise that signifies it recognizes a USB device. So Vista knows something exists there... It just doesn't know what to do.

I also tested an Ubuntu LiveCD on the same computer with the same mice. Not surprisingly, it worked fine. So I know hardware wise this computer is fine. It's something with a driver with Vista that's not lining up right.

Blimey, that's a tricky one. Have you taken a look in the event log?

Good call. I just did. But alas, no dice.

If only I could find XP drivers for this **** thing...

EDIT - Lyk, omg? Now Device Manager sees it as "USB Optical Mouse" instead of unknown device, however, it still doesn't work. :) :) :)

Have you removed the drivers from the Device Manager then restarted the machine forcing it to be detected as new hardware?

Have you removed the drivers from the Device Manager then restarted the machine forcing it to be detected as new hardware?

Yup.

I'm stumped. Like whoa.

I unplugged the mouse when I rebooted it and I noticed Device Manager now had a yellow splot by Terminal Server Mouse Driver.

Where do I install this? Dell doesn't know. I'm finding nothing on the Microsoft site. Google only yields people with the same problems as me.

Dont use Google. It doesnt spider Microsoft sites. You need to use Bing to get real results for windows based questions.

That is for like Remote Connection stuff. I dont even know why you would have that active. At least not at this point. Do you have Terminal Server installed and operational?

At the moment, Bing is blocked at work and there's no override option like I have with other sites.

I assume Terminal Server is installed. All I did was install Vista Business, drivers from the CD, get updates, install Google Earth, OpenOffice, etc. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom