DBAN

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
so i wiped a hard drive with DBAN, and now i want to install windows 10. but i can not even get the drive to show up, let alone be able to do anything with it. i even tried new sata cables(2). how do i go about fixing this little mess i have gotten myself into?

i have it figured out. the hard drive is ruined. it will not format, in fact it will not even let a known good computer to boot up as long as the data cable is attached. that was the shortest hard drive life i have ever seen. 11 months. sad part is i ruined it.

i know this is a long shot, but is there any chance that passing a large speaker magnet across one or both sides might make it usable again? i can not think of anything else that would save it.

i know this is a long shot, but is there any chance that passing a large speaker magnet across one or both sides might make it usable again? i can not think of anything else that would save it.

No.

Does BIOS not recognize the drive at all?

Likely the drive was ready to die anyway, before the DBAN. If it's only 11 months, just warranty it. They usually have a 2 or 3 year warranty.

no recognition whatsoever. when it is connected to a working computer, it messes the software up so bad your lucky to get a page to load, let alone try to navigate in it. / the warranty idea went thru my head, i am not sure it will cover owner stupidity. the (not so) funny thing is, the tiny 80gb hard drive that i had in the same computer survived just fine. and its nearly 20 years old.

no recognition whatsoever. when it is connected to a working computer, it messes the software up so bad your lucky to get a page to load, let alone try to navigate in it. / the warranty idea went thru my head, i am not sure it will cover owner stupidity. the (not so) funny thing is, the tiny 80gb hard drive that i had in the same computer survived just fine. and its nearly 20 years old.

Nothing stupid with using DBAN.

Could always trying creating a GParted boot disk / LiveUSB and see if it recognizes it and can format it.

Could always trying creating a GParted boot disk / LiveUSB and see if it recognizes it and can format it.

i will try one or both of those as soon as i get a chance. i HATE being w/o my ccomputer. but unfortunately, my attention has been ripped away from it. my wife passed out and fell, breaking her leg. she went to our local hospital, and they could not decide what to do with her. so they transferred her to Grand Rapids for them to deal with it. at this point, i do not even know what kind of a break it is. as they did not have a radiologist (or one on call) to read the x-rays.

ok, GParted has been running 12 hours now, and its still not finished. its a 1 TB drive, but unfortunately the computer being used to run this is an OLD Core 2 processor. should it take this long?

ok, GParted has been running 12 hours now, and its still not finished. its a 1 TB drive, but unfortunately the computer being used to run this is an OLD Core 2 processor. should it take this long?

What does the status say? Did you remember to click "Apply" (green checkmark) at the top right to actually perform the actions? They queue up until you click that. When it's doing the operations, a status window should display like the following:

gparted_9_big.png

Back
Top Bottom