DBAN

well, i got it back. i followed this article.....https://www.howtogeek.com/268901/wh...isnt-showing-up-in-windows-and-how-to-fix-it/ ..... it seemed a lot easier and made more sense to me. /// a big part of the confusing part was finding the right download button to push. they have so many ads on there, every page has 3 or more download places. plus reading each page, it seemed like everything i needed needed another program first to make it work. to me, at least in my frame of mind (my wife is giving the doctors fits, they keep trying, but they can not get her blood pressure above 68/47)(this is day 5) it was much clearer. you know i appreciate all of you help. thank you. now if this shows up in MY computer (its in a windows 7 computer now), i will be all set. thanks again.

well, so much for a premature victory. i installed the hard drive, and tried to install windows. it said it could not install because it was formatted in GPT format. so i tried to format it right there because there is an option to, but that did not work. so i closed out of install, and there were 2 options, turn off the computer, or fix this computer. i tried the fox this computer, but that wouldn't work either, it said i was missing some kind of partition. i am just about ready to use it for target practice, and chalk this up to educational expenses. i can't help feel i am so close, but yet so far away from getting it.

GPT requires a UEFI boot from the USB device that's installing windows. Try turning OFF legacy mode in your BIOS and see if that helps. (This is assuming you have a UEFI board. If you have an older board that still uses the older BIOS, you may have to redo the HDD stuff but set the partition scheme to MBR rather than GPT.)

i could not even get into the uefi. i am going to try doing the long format with restore device defaults checked/ then i am going to make a small partition, and install a boot program in it. and see where that takes me. i "think" what it needs is whatever data is on a hard drive from the factory. but i have not been able to find anything like that.

well, i FINALLY have my hard drive back to brand new condition. thanks to many people across several websites. the actual "cure" was at the hard drive manufacturers (WD) support group. it was not an easy fix, but the hard drive is fine, and back to as issued. they also gave me instructions on how to initialize the drive, and format it for windows install. i wanted to thank everyone who helped me along this difficult journey. it was an education i shal never forget (well, until i get so old i am eating dinner thru a straw and wearing depends! lol) .

Back
Top Bottom