Daul boot issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zazool

Beta member
Hi I have a problem with Dual Boot options.

I have a Microsoft windows 7 Ultimate environment, on boot I'm presented with the option to boot from either Windows 7 Pro and my Windows 7 Ultimate OS.
Now this maybe a reminiscence of a dual boot OS I had on the machine but I do not have it anymore.

Here's what I've tried, booted into the Windows 7 ultimate instillation disk and used the repair tool (Command Line) and used the bootsect tool.
Commands tried:
bootsect /nt60 sys /mbr
nootsect /nt60 all /mbr

Please don't recommend system restore lol, I've very recently made allot of installations and configurations.:D

Are you still running two partitions? Try formatting the 2nd partition (assuming you have your current OS installed on the Primary partition)

My Disk has 2 partitions but the second drive is just for media no OS there, yes my current OS is on C:
duno if this means anything but I've only had this problem since my MOBO was short circuited by a faulty PSU they have replaced my MOBO and ever since I've had this problem.
but I see no reason why this would affect the HDD, I've run a CHKDSK and Memory diagnostic and no errors.

Bootrec.exe /fixmbr
what does this do oldskool? - Thanks for the replies guys

When your mobo was replaced, the operating system has been installed over the old one incorrectly.
Go into Start -> Run -> Msconfig -> boot
There you can select your default OS to boot.

[EDIT] Dont mess with the MBR, Things can go horribly wrong.

Get EasyBCD and remove the entry for the OS you dont want. Quick, easy and painless. After you remove the entry you dont want, click Save Settings and away you go. There is nothing wrong with messing with the MBR, if you know what your doing or how to fix it. I mess with it all the time testing out EasyBCD for new OS's and multiple OS's. There is nothing wrong with doing it as long as you read up first on what your doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom