Data not on disk after copy

yossarian22xxii

Beta member
Hello, I am not sure if this is the right section to ask, so sorry if not.
Also I tried to search the internet/this forum for similar problem, but I not even sure how to correctly name my problem for the search engines.

I took out my 3TB(WD Green) hdd from my PC, plugged it in a docking station at friend's computer and copied large(almost 1TB) chunk of data. When I plugged the HDD back into my PC the data was not there

It is not hidden, because the disk space is exactly the same as before copying
Is it possible that the index was not updated? If so, is it possible to fix it(as the actual data should be physically still on the HDD)

I've had that issue before as well, and quite honestly I'm not 100% sure of the cause/fix
This user had the same issue too: files missing after copying to computer

When I experienced the problem, I was copying from a mac to the hdd, then plugged the hdd into a win7 machine - the data never showed up. Tried a second time successfully, so left it at that.

You could be on to something re the index, if that's the case then any file recovery software should be able to find your copied files (if only to confirm that the index not being updated is the issue). Recuva is free: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Back
Top Bottom