Data Backup

S4ndm4n

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I just installed Cobian Backup 11 Gravity at work for backup of very large files. It's making copies that I don't need. I've got a folder on source computer that has project data inside that with a file structure that needs to be maintained the same. I want the backup software to update the main backup onto our NAS which has 4 TB of space, 2TB usable and the other 2TB are a mirror for redundant backup. There was a setting I saw about how many copies to keep when I setup cobian. Looking for some help with setting up the settings or recommendation of other software that might be better for this application.

If it doesn't need to be immediate, and can be on a scheduled backup: SyncToy
If it needs to be more of a file-sync (immediate sync), you could look into Bittorrent Sync. Sets up a small server running on a computer, and then when file changes are detected in a directory you set, it will back it up. You can choose 1 way backup, or 2-way sync (same with SyncToy).

Weekly backup is fine. And it only needs to copy the changed files. I need one copy on the machine I'm working on and an identical copy on the external drive. Cobian seems like it would do it perfectly if I could get the settings right but I could give the others u mentioned a try. I'm having a lot of issues lately with some folders being missing and I'm trying to avoid that problem with a backup

I'd look into SyncToy then - easiest to setup, and will only copy/overwrite if changed, and then can setup an automatic backup in Task Scheduler.

It just doens't have a "file history" if you overwrite something, where as BTSync does (30 days default, I think).

I think I'll try SyncToy first then. The Cobian seems like a great program,it's just that it's a bit complex with the settings for me to understand a few key things right now. Thanks for the suggestion and quick responses!

Haven't used Cobian, so good luck with it if you want to figure something out lol.

SyncToy is pretty easy to setup - did it for a place I worked at in HS to backup data over the network to an external HDD on a weekly basis during off-hours.

Back
Top Bottom