cyclick redundancy check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice Daddy

Fully Optimized
Cannot copy xxxxx: Data error (cyclick redundancy check).

what does that mean, and is there a way to fix it?
it usually happens when I copy files from dvd backups, the other day, it happend twice, but I tried later and it worked fine...

CRC is a tool that verifies data to make sure it is copied/transfered correctly. My guess would be that you've got some kind of data verification turned on, and it's having a fit with your data or the transfer.

I just updated the firmware of the drive, so I don't think that's it, it might be the dvd going bad though... although the bottom isn't scratched, when I first created it I burned at max speed so the data might not have copied that well, although like I had mentioned it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't (I have about 3 dvd that are doing this)...

I would like to investigate the data verification theory, what more can be said about that?

Re:

Hello,

What are your using to burn data DVDs? Try looking for additional options (attributes or something) when burning a DVD which might be causing this.

I use nero express, but I have data verification off...

now when I burn dvd's I use the lowest speed, but when I burned these problem dvd's I burned at the fastest setting...

They may not have burned correctly.

I'd go plug the Nero website for the error message and see what they say.

I assume scrathed means scratched, lol and I don't think protection had anything to do with it, these are full of pictures and files, not movies and such...

In simple terms, a CRC is bit of mathematics used to ensure that your data is OK when being transfered. It's a checking procedure that quickly identifies when data has been damaged. If you get this message, it means that the file being read by your PC or software is corrupted. However, it does not mean all the data is lost forever. When data is transfered, it is usually in small blocks and each block is given a CRC value. If something goes wrong with the data between the time it leaves the source and arrives at its destination, the CRC sent at the source will no longer match the one that is calculated when the data arrives - this is when the cyclic redundancy check error will appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom