Cyclic Redundancy Check & System Slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlimar105

Solid State Member
I have two problems with Windows XP that is running on my laptop. I think they are related, only because they both occurred at the same time.

Firstly, the system takes an eternity to load. The hard drive seems to be working overtime, sometimes sounding as if it is in a loop of sorts. Opening folders takes forever as well, and there is a general slowdown in all programmes in loading up and shutting down.

Secondly, I am unable to locate certain Word and JPEG files located in the "My Documents" folder. Double-clicking the sub-folders in which they are contained creates a "C:\ is not formatted. Do you wish to format?" message. Weird, because I only one unpartitioned C:\ in which my Windows XP resides. When I try and open the same folder through DOS, it gives me the "Files Corrupt (Cyclic Redundancy Error)" message.

I was unable to do a system restore (i.e. back to an earlier date). I think some system files may be corrupt. Occassionally I get the "blue screen" as well.

I have run a virus check (Norton), and all is clear.

I am tempted to do a total overhaul of the operating system (i.e. reformat), but would like to save the data first.

1. Can anyone suggest how I might go about recovering the data?

2. If I try and reinstall Windows XP (on top of the existing installation), it warns me that the installation "MAY" delete all data in the "My Documents" file. Does it or does it not?

3. Any other suggestions? I am struggling to think how these two problems are linked. Virus?

Thanks in advance.

cyclic redundancy check or CRC works almost like cmos checksum when your computer is booting, expect it works in realtime and is intended for data protection. Whenever you are accessing something on your harddrive, CRC checks to see whether the data it is reading is the file you are looking for. If data is currupted to a point where it is unrecognizable, then thats a sign of damaged data or disk. It can also be a loose cable or unclean power to the HDD. CRC is very effective at protecting data integrity, so having this error is very serious. If up to me, I would look to retrieve all the data I can, and reformat. that way, it will tell me if my data was merely currupted, or is my disk drive damaged. i know the previous stated method is good, but Im not too sure if you can take out a laptop harddrive and expect to rig it to a desktop.. haha hope this helps.

i network up another computer to save data on a failing pc. you can always burn cds.

I have once reinstalled windows over my existing installation, and it deleted everything in the documents folder. i suggest moving all files to another folder before attempting this method.

I have tried burning CDs using a straight copy, but the computer is unable to read the source files. Also, when I tried the Backup programme built into XP, it could see certain of the files in question (this leads me to believe the files are corrupted rather than lost altogether) but again was unable to copy them.

One solution I would like to try is linking the laptop in question (which runs XP) to my work laptop (which runs 2000), so I can try and copy the files using another operating system as a base.

Can someone please advise me of the best way to hook up two laptops using XP and 2000, re both software and hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom