Customizing "All Programs' " icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenor

In Runtime
I sometimes find searching for the seldom-used programs within "All Programs"
rather tedious especially when I have many programs and 90% of them have
the same default icon. It'll be easier to spot/distinguish the one I want if the
icons shown are the proprietary ones. Anyone knows how to do it?
Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Get to the program in question. Now from here leave the mouse cursor on it and right click on it and select properties. There you should see a windows pop up. Under the Customize tab there is a option to change the Icon if it can be changed.

Cheers,
Mak

Hi Mak, I knew how to do that but that's not what I want. I do not
want those icons in the 'SHELL32.dll' folder. Instead, I want icons
similar to those that come with the programs if you know what I mean.
For example, VLC player = the orange-colour cone, CCleaner = red
capital letter C with a brush.
Do you know where those icons are stored so that I can browse to them?
Thanks!

Hello,

Most of the icons are stored right in their folders. Check in their respective folders in the C:\Program Files\ area. I know most of them are stored there.

Cheers,
Mak

Like Mak said, you'll have to go to the program's actual installation folder. You'll most likely have to pick the main program's icon (i.e. CCleaner.exe for the CCleaner icon).

Carnage,

In most folders there is a .ico file that is the Icon. Picking hte .exe will not work as it wont show up. So if there is no .ico file in the folder, there is no icon in that folder and you will have to find a different method to get the icons.

Can always try to rebuild the icon cache as well.

Cheers,
Mak

Carnage,

In most folders there is a .ico file that is the Icon. Picking hte .exe will not work as it wont show up. So if there is no .ico file in the folder, there is no icon in that folder and you will have to find a different method to get the icons.

Can always try to rebuild the icon cache as well.

Cheers,
Mak

Worked for me... lol. In both XP and Vista.

Opened up the start menu, right clicked on 'CCleaner' folder, properties, customize tab, chose to change the icon, browsed to CCleaner's program folder, and picked CCleaner.exe and icons for it showed up in the bottom half of the window, so I picked the normal CCleaner icon, and it shows up.

Strange. I will have to test that out. Most of the time i just rebuild my Icon Cache which works.

Cheers,
Mak

I've always doen it that way lol.

Just tried it on a few more random programs in my start menu:
BitComet, Limewire, Notepad++, PowerISO, and WinRAR.

All worked...lol.

BTW, what's the utility you use to rebuild your icon cache...it can't remember it for the life of me, but I've used it before lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom