Critical error! The entire page!

well, it Java causing the problem. so do i completely uninstall java and download new? and since i am doing this, i have to ask this question. if the computer will start and run with none of these programs, why have any of them in the startup file. they will start when they are needed right? and what about the process ones? i did not have to mess with any of them. but if it will make the computer start and run faster, why not just disable all of them?

well, it Java causing the problem. so do i completely uninstall java and download new?
Yes, make sure all old versions of Java are uninstalled, then install the latest.

and since i am doing this, i have to ask this question. if the computer will start and run with none of these programs, why have any of them in the startup file. they will start when they are needed right?
Some stuff (like Antivirus) you should keep to open on startup. THe other stuff...usually it's optional (unless software you use has stuff come up on startup for a reason).

and what about the process ones? i did not have to mess with any of them. but if it will make the computer start and run faster, why not just disable all of them?

You mean the services? The services are a bit more complicated and should take care in what you disable there - sometimes background service stuff runs without the need for user intervention, and disabling the wrong services can cause issues with software that you use if it was expecting the service to be running.

ok, i uninstalled and downloaded java, but it did not verify that it was installed correctly. i went back into msconfig to make sure java was enabled. and just to see what was in the services area, i took a look. but now i am not so sure i should have. there are all kinds of things stopped. some the boxes are checked (and stopped), some are not. and a slew of them are microsoft ones. and worse yet, some of them sound terribly important to the security of my computer and personal information. i am making a list, but in the mean time, i am confused about the check mark in the box. if the service is stopped, and the box is checked, what dos that mean. and how does that differ to the box being unchecked?

ok, i uninstalled and downloaded java, but it did not verify that it was installed correctly. i went back into msconfig to make sure java was enabled. and just to see what was in the services area, i took a look. but now i am not so sure i should have. there are all kinds of things stopped. some the boxes are checked (and stopped), some are not. and a slew of them are microsoft ones. and worse yet, some of them sound terribly important to the security of my computer and personal information. i am making a list, but in the mean time, i am confused about the check mark in the box. if the service is stopped, and the box is checked, what dos that mean. and how does that differ to the box being unchecked?

The box being checked but service being stopped just means the service isn't running right now. Unchecking will not allow it to run at startup at all, and would have to be manually started (either by you, or by the application wanting to use it...but the application usually doesn't try to start a service if it's not running already).

Generally I wouldn't worry about the Windows/MS services unless you're having a specific issue.

i guess my big concern is that approximately 30 of the 72 are security related. some SEEM like they may have been turned off for a reason. but i am a bit paranoid, so you have to take that with a grain of salt. of those 72, all but about 6-9 are microsoft. the ones that have to do with performance logs, m.s. office, and similar don't concern me as much as windows defender, remote procedure call locator turned off, and remote access connection manager being turned on does. there are a couple i would like to turn on, like windows defender, since its my primary anti virus, and lightscribe labeling service. as i tried to do that a few days ago, and i could not understand why it would not work. am i going to have to turn ALL of them back on, and then go back and turn off all of the rest of them to get the few i want turned back on? if so, i think i will just say to heck with it, and just download a free antivirus for now.

Back
Top Bottom