Creating a shared folder between 2 windows machines

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hello,

I am trying to create a shared folder between my two Windows laptops (a laptop and a netbook) to easy transfer files. I created a shared folder on the netbook and gave it Full permissions. When I try to access it from my Windows laptop (I go to the start menu and type \\ComputerName I get an error message saying

\\ComputerName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.

Logon failure: account currently disabled.

Both machines are on the same network so I'm not sure where the error would be? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

when you try to access another computer, windows automatically tries to logon using the same user // pass of the person logged in on the client. this error says that that particular user on the server is disabled. if you enable the user on the computer hostign the files and the password for the user matches on both pcs, then the computer may become accessible.

assuming windows 7 is running, i would rather try to setup homegroups for this setup. clickt he link below for more info.

File sharing essentials

Easiest way I have found to share my stuff across my network. Right click on any folder or drive you want to share. Then right click and select Properties. There click on the Sharing Tab. Select Advanced Sharing. Check the box for Share this Folder. It will say this even if it is an entire drive. Set the share name and set the number of users.

Now on the other PC all you have to do is go to Network. You should see the PC name and the files/folder you are sharing. Now you can access them easily from anywhere with any PC. No logging in or anything like that is needed.

I do this with several media folders and am able to share with the Wife's laptop and the PC downstairs to stream media. I have no need to login, just have to have the 2 PC's on at the time I want to do something. The PC I am streaming from, my PC, is in sleep mode most of the time when the streaming is going on an there is no issues at all.

The 1 thing you will need to make sure is that your Permissions are setup properly. If you want to be able to do more than just read, you have to set the permissions as such so that the other PC's can write or modify the files as you wish.

This is done from a base PC of Windows 7 and the laptop accessing it with Windows 7 and the PC downstairs running XP. All work flawlessly.

Easiest way I have found to share my stuff across my network. Right click on any folder or drive you want to share. Then right click and select Properties. There click on the Sharing Tab. Select Advanced Sharing. Check the box for Share this Folder. It will say this even if it is an entire drive. Set the share name and set the number of users.

Now on the other PC all you have to do is go to Network. You should see the PC name and the files/folder you are sharing. Now you can access them easily from anywhere with any PC. No logging in or anything like that is needed.

I do this with several media folders and am able to share with the Wife's laptop and the PC downstairs to stream media. I have no need to login, just have to have the 2 PC's on at the time I want to do something. The PC I am streaming from, my PC, is in sleep mode most of the time when the streaming is going on an there is no issues at all.

The 1 thing you will need to make sure is that your Permissions are setup properly. If you want to be able to do more than just read, you have to set the permissions as such so that the other PC's can write or modify the files as you wish.

This is done from a base PC of Windows 7 and the laptop accessing it with Windows 7 and the PC downstairs running XP. All work flawlessly.

Ok I am now able to see the shared folders of both computers. However, I cannot access the shared folders that I created and when I try to map the C drive of either computer, I get an error saying the drive letter I picked is not accessible and that access is denied. I have tried this with several different drive letters on both machines with the same result.

You cant just share the C:\ Drive. That is where the system files are and allowing them to be shared can cause corruption. You will have to share only specific User Folders within that drive. Like the Documents, Pictures and Music folders. Aside from that nothing else on the C:\ Drive should be shared. Last thing you would want is an infection to be able to be spread across both PC's cause you have given full access.

You cant just share the C:\ Drive. That is where the system files are and allowing them to be shared can cause corruption. You will have to share only specific User Folders within that drive. Like the Documents, Pictures and Music folders. Aside from that nothing else on the C:\ Drive should be shared. Last thing you would want is an infection to be able to be spread across both PC's cause you have given full access.

Ok that makes sense. But I am still being denied access from accessing even a shared folder on in my documents. I created the folder and allowed it to be shared and gave it full permissions, but my one machine still seems to be blocking access. I tried playing around with the sharing settings and turned off things that might be the culprit, but no luck yet. Is there something obvious I may be missing?

Which OS's are in use? Which OS is in use on the PC that you are sharing from and which OS is denying the access?

I have a netbook that runs Windows 7 Home Premium and a laptop that runs Windows 7 Enterprise.

When I try to access a shared folder from either machine, I get an access denied message, but I don't know where else to look to change permissions?

I have a netbook that runs Windows 7 Home Premium and a laptop that runs Windows 7 Enterprise.

When I try to access a shared folder from either machine, I get an access denied message, but I don't know where else to look to change permissions?

You should probably change some settings in the network and sharing center's "advanced sharing settings" if you haven't done so already.

To do this:
1. look at the main page of the network and sharing center. Take note of the type of network your network card is using I.E. home/work or public.
2. click "change advanced sharing settings" from the left bar.
3. Expand the submenu of the network type you noted in step 1.
4. set network discovery -on. File and printer sharing - on.
5. If you want automatic full access to the public folders (located in c:\users\public) for anyone, turn that on.
6. I personally use 128 bit encryption but unless you have some specific security concerns this shouldn't matter. (but I would make sure they are both set to the same)
7. I've always used password protection, if you try without and run into complications, someone else will have to help.
8. Homegroup connections are lame in my opinion, but I've never truly intended to use them as I don't see any advantage. You can leave this on default it shouldn't matter anyway if you don't then go set it up.

Ultimately depending on your choice of sharing method you don't have to do all the things above, but perhaps for what you've already done "file and printer sharing" is turned off?
good luck.

Back
Top Bottom