Creating a recovery disk of your PC the easy way? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2008, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Thumbs up Creating a recovery disk of your PC the easy way?

Sorry if the heading of this thread made you think I had answers to a similar problem. I don’t!

Ok here’s the deal… I’m not brilliant with computers but I get by.
I remember a few years ago now that a friend of mine used to be able to make recovery disks with Norton Ghost and I’m not sure what version it was now but it used DOS.
I do remember it seemed a complicated process and one I wouldn’t revel in repeating for myself.
With the advance in technology and software I would have thought this process could be done fairly easily now.
I purchased Norton Ghost 12 and…Acronis 11 Home, after reading as much as I could find on the web about this subject.
Acronis is supposed to be the easiest and best apparently so I loaded this and went through the process of making a recovery disk.
I’m not sure exactly how I got through the process but when I chose to make a backup of the entire PC I first of all used DVD’s not CD’s (If that makes a difference) and when it began to burn the disks it came up with error messages which could be ignored or skipped. I chose to skip all. The errors pertained to areas of the disk which were unreadable. (Sorry I don’t remember exactly what errors they were now)

My main question and point is this…. Someone please explain the easiest way to make an encapsulated backup of my PC so I can save time installing next time disk by disk. It took me a complete day to get everything up the way I wanted with all the software I would use and drivers etc. I want to make my own recovery disks very much in the same way some laptops have recovery disks when you buy them which are branded by whichever company makes the Laptop. One quick ten minute install and everything that is needed for that Laptop is installed in one go. Perfect!

I should have the right software by all accounts, so how the **** do I use it to be sure I have a safe backup that is self installing/extracting on start-up next time my PC goes **** up on me?
I know I would have to boot from the disk when installing but the question remains…How do I make the recovery in the best and easiest way to be SURE I have everything for next time?

I need a step by step fools version of how to do it.
Thanks anyone who replies.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Creating a recovery disk of your PC the easy way

If you have Norton Ghost all you need to do is use the program to make a couple of Ghost floppy disks. One will be the boot disk the other is the program disk You boot off of this and it will instruct you step by step on making a backup. The reason it wont work right within windows is it cant copy a lot of system files and such while there running. The best way to do this is to have another hard drive and hook it up as a slave to the existing hard drive and copy over to that bot there are other options also.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Isnt this basically what you want to do?

Also with Ghost you should be able to create a Image and burn it right to a set of CD'd/DVD's and just boot from them and install. I have done this with Ghost 10 several times.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 02-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I personally like drive image 7. it the best of the lot
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Closed Thread