Creating partition in Recovery Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redvers

Baseband Member
Hi, I have just installed a new motherboard after the last one failed. No surprise but XP won't boot up. Keep getting the option to start in safe mode, etc but then it just reboots. Have gone into Recovery Console and am wondering about partitions. The master 80 GB HDD I have is partitioned as C: 76309 MB (41609 MB free) with unpartitioned space of 8MB. I have a lot of data I don't want to lose by simply reinstalling. not life threatening stuff by any means (I back up the important stuff) but just extra hastle. Am I able to create a new partition from Recovery Console and reinstall XP onto that?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

If this is a completely different motherboard, you will need to reinstall your OS. You may try a repair but in the long run, you will more than likely need to perform a fresh install.

It is a completely different motherboard. I don't mind if the repair is a temporary fix. Just as long as I can have a look at what data is worth saving. Quite happy to do a full reinstall later on. But back to original question. Is it at all possible to create a new partition in Recovery Console and install Xp on that?

Diskpart

Creates and deletes partitions on a hard drive. The diskpart command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console.
diskpart [/add | /delete] [device_name | drive_name | partition_name] [size]
Parameters
none
Used without parameters, the diskpart command starts the Windows character-mode version of diskpart.
/add
Creates a new partition.
/delete
Deletes an existing partition.
device_name
The device on which you want to create or delete a partition. The name can be obtained from the output of the map command. An example of a device name is:
\Device\HardDisk0
drive_name
The partition you want to delete, by drive letter. Used only with /delete. An example of a drive name is:
D:
partition_name
The partition you want to delete, by partition name. Can be used in place of the drive_name. Used only with /delete. An example of a partition name is:
\Device\HardDisk0\Partition1
size
The size, in megabytes (MB), of the partition you want to create. Used only with /add.
Examples
The following examples delete a partition:
diskpart /delete \Device\HardDisk0\Partition3
diskpart /delete F:
The following example adds a 20 MB partition to your hard drive:
diskpart /add \Device\HardDisk0 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom